Next Generation Starlink Roam hardware

Paste from the email recived from Starlink: Dont see it yet on their order page however

photo

Next Generation Starlink for Roam

Slim and Portable

The next generation Starlink is slimmer and more portable, with a more elegant design than its predecessor, making it the ideal connectivity companion for users on the go. Ideal for on the go use, the next generation Starlink packs flat.

Improved WiFi with the Gen 3 Router

The next generation Starlink comes with a Gen 3 Router which boasts 2 ethernet ports, Wi-Fi 6, and improved range and speeds.

Work and Play with Starlink Roam

Starlink's Roam service allows you to bring unlimited high speed, low latency internet with you almost anywhere in the world. You can pause your service anytime, and reactivate it when you need it, giving you the flexibility to make the most of your Starlink service.

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/0NuN3Pc.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/0NuN3Pcl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by palmeris
tried to fix links and photo

It’s an upgrade in some ways, not in other ways.  It uses more power so isn’t as attractive to me.  The router would be a nice upgrade, but don’t think it would be a direct replacement due to the different cables?  Perhaps also because the new gen. 3 system has a separate power supply?  Would any of that make a difference as to whether you could use it with the gen. 2 antenna?  If it would not be a direct replacement, would you then have to buy an Ethernet dongle?  And if you did that, would it make more sense to just get the dongle and buy a separate, faster router?

I came to the same conclusion.

The increase in power draw is significant for me due to the off-grid house.  But when traveling I tend to run the generator for those times I am using the internet so it might not be that much of an impact.

The gen2 antenna is perfect for traveling.  Not sure the gen3 antenna is that handy.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

While I own a generator, I would just as soon not use it.  And I like being on the internet in the evenings, when I am not at all interested in going outside to start it or shut it down.  So the increased power draw is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

There are still rumors floating that they will be introducing a smaller one that will have various DC options.  I might be interested in it, but I’m doing well with the gen. 2 antenna.

The gen. 3 antenna has to be manually aligned (there’s a phone app to indicate when it’s aligned properly).  My first reaction was really negative, but it might not be that big of a deal.  I like having my antenna on a ladder mounted pole, and they have an optional adapter for mounting the new one on a pole.  It has to be at a certain angle, and it looked like the adapter would keep it at that angle, so all you would have to do is rotate the pole until the app says it’s right.  But it’s still an extra step I’d rather not do.

19 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

If it would not be a direct replacement, would you then have to buy an Ethernet dongle?  And if you did that, would it make more sense to just get the dongle and buy a separate, faster router?

I would agree and I think I am going to order the ethernet adapter. I need stronger internet signal for outdoor cameras and lighting so my options are spend money for a seperate, stronger router or buy a mesh extender from Starlink for about the same money that may or may not to what I need.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg