Contemplating a change.

Not from the Full Time home on wheels lifestyle though. 

When I had my home built, I wanted a three housing filter that would filter all water coming into the home. I could fill my tank with filtered water or just filter the "City" water. 

Well I arrived to pick up my home and found no filters. Had to make a run to the nearest "Home Depot" and picked up what I thought would work and they were installed at the last minute. Fast forward to using said filters. Difficult to get to, made a mess when changing and not in a heated compartment. 

Over the past 10 years I've tried and tried to find a solution, but having no true heat in any of my "Basement" and my desire to stay where it's below freezing in the winter, I have to come up with a different solution. 

With the latest cold snap I made sure my tank was full and my electric heater was positioned correctly to keep the pump and hopefully the lines from the tank to the upstairs from freezing. It's worked so far, but my filter system is sitting in the garage until it's warm enough to hook up again to refill. I also don't really like it sitting out in the sun during the summer, so I'm considering just filtering under the kitchen sink for cooking. I have a drinking water dispenser where I fill 3 gallon containers to use for personal consumption from the grocery store bulk dispensers or or the Local HTO Texas Tea location just around the corner here in Norman. 

I'm pretty sure this winter will be cold for a long time. I don't plan to move from here till spring and the water fill is on the North side of the home where the sun doesn't reach this time of year and won't till middle of next summer. It takes a lot less time to fill the tank without a filter. 

I realize I'm potentially contaminating my system, but in a walk around the campers many have their hose connected directly to the trailers. There are a few "Softeners" sitting out (Or Were, my neighbor put his inside). 

In retrospect, I should have insisted my "Full Four Season Home" had a heated and insulated basement area. I may try to retrofit it if I decide to try some of the really cold winter locations I had hoped to visit. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

15 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Just curious how your layout is under the main floor.

Do you have propane for heat now. Also some layout plans for the underbelly would make thinking of this subject much more interesting.

3DiSU5il.jpg

Here is what it looked like when it was new. 

Plha4uXl.jpg

This is where the electrical panels are. 

O16J1ayl.jpg

And where the water filters started out. Not fun to change the filters and quite messy. I now have a movable filter rack that will sort of fit in the compartment. It's easier to change the filters on the ground or a table. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

There are two quick options to cure your problem.

If you have propane in this rv. It could be possible to install a propane furnace in the basement, to heat the basement.

Another option would be to install a heating loop system with heat exchangers. Motorhomes that have a hydronic heating system, uses this type of system to heat there underbelly.

That could be electric/propane unit.

I have installed a diesel/electrical Aquahot heating system in our 43’ Teton. And it came with two gas furnaces. I also extended several heating vent lines from the original furnaces.

I also use a separate, outside Suburban propane furnace to heat under our fifthwheel when we stay in Montana for the winter.  

Some more info would be needed. But there are options to deal with this subject.

Edited by Wrknrvr

On 11/2/2023 at 10:17 AM, Wrknrvr said:

How about some pictures of the outside of your fifthwheel to show the lower walls . Looking for a place to install a heating unit. If that is required.

GZXThDAl.jpg

Here is the side view. Front compartment has my Generator riding in there, next area is the ODU for the Mini Split, next is Utilities compartment in front of the axles and finally the two compartments behind the axles. 

oma4kk1l.jpg

Other side. There is a "Gas Furnace" in the compartment in front of the axle. Hasn't worked since the Mini Split was installed. (nor have I really needed it). Have thought about trying to put a thermostat in the basement to keep it to 40 degrees, but haven't had to do it yet. Maybe this year? 

Rod 

Rod

Edited by lappir
added photo and info.

2007 Honda GL 1800

Let’s start with why was furnace was in there for in the beginning. I am sorta taking it that you planned on electrical heat to begin with?    that is a question.     Or was there only one gas furnace to begin with.

It looks like that furnace is under the main floor.    

So where did the ductwork exit into the RV.  Is there any ducts going to behind the axles.   This question is very important as to how proceed with getting heat where it is neeed. Or wanted.

Another question I need to ask, is there any barriers in the underbelly that would prohibit air flow from the front of the underbelly or rear of the underbelly. This question needs answered because heated air needs to return back to the furnace to be reheated.

If you need to , I would suggest you call the manufacturer and ask them.

Edited by Wrknrvr

This is my thermostats for the living area.

red light is for under floor heat exchanger from the Aquahot unit. It actually uses a Suburban furnace motor and fan for the heat exchanger. It operates threw a underfloor thermostat.

The Dometic thermostat works the normal ac and propane furnace 

The next mechanical thermostat works the kitchen Aquahot heat exchanger that also operates with a Suburban fan motor. I also have a under floor rear heat exchanger that uses computer fans for the heat exchanger.  And it has its own thermostat under the floor at the rear of the fifthwheel.

qnraREOl.jpg

Edited by Wrknrvr

Why are you using filters?  I was full time for a couple of years and traveled a lot after I quit being a full timer.  I never used a filter and never had any issues.  I did and still do use a final filter, usually a Brita, for drinking water.

I always used water from a reliable source such as municipal water or water at a national park or forest.  If you use contaminated water, I would not count on a whole RV filter to fix the possible issues.  Also I recommend NEVER using a filter which removes chlorine, except for a final filter for drinking water.  The chlorine helps to prevent growth of pseudomonas and other more worrisome bacteria and viruses.  Legionella can easily grow in hot water systems creating a bacterial aeresol whenever you take a shower.

2 hours ago, JimK said:

Why are you using filters?  I was full time for a couple of years and traveled a lot after I quit being a full timer.  I never used a filter and never had any issues.  I did and still do use a final filter, usually a Brita, for drinking water.

I always used water from a reliable source such as municipal water or water at a national park or forest.  If you use contaminated water, I would not count on a whole RV filter to fix the possible issues.  Also I recommend NEVER using a filter which removes chlorine, except for a final filter for drinking water.  The chlorine helps to prevent growth of pseudomonas and other more worrisome bacteria and viruses.  Legionella can easily grow in hot water systems creating a bacterial aeresol whenever you take a shower.

Good question Jim and to answer I must say I really don't know. 

I don't knowingly put contaminated water in my home, but unless you test every site you visit, I guess you never know. 

Good point on the chlorine needing to stay in the tank. Had not thought of it. I think I will go out and remove my filters and see what happens. 

Like I said, I usually don't drink from the faucet, but I do rinse after brushing my teeth with that water usually. I fill my drinking water bottles, and make coffee with water purchased from drinking water vendors. 

Thanks for the comments, questions and suggestions. 

Rod

ps

Vern, 

Haven't found my thermostat yet and it's going to be HOT today here. Have done my outside stuff already and probably won't call you till Thursday after it cools down a bit. 

rl

2007 Honda GL 1800

I also disconnected all my filters and never had a problem caused by water in spite of the many places I filled my tank. I didn't even filter my drinking water. I have been told, though, that some pets have problems with water from a variety of sources.

In fact, the only time in all our years of living we had a water problem was from a well that had ants in it way back in 1969. Even then we didn't get sick but we did move before our daughter was born so as to not subject her to the risk.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Think about this..... have you ever read on a forum or heard elsewhere that 'it was proven' that people got sick from drinking water from their tanks or getting bad water?  I haven't.

Parks - private, national, state are not going to risk huge lawsuits because of not having safe water for the RVers.  Having volunteered in national and state parks I know the water is tested regularly.

Now... if you use water from the side of a fuel station or similar I wouldn't rely on it being tested continuously.  Just use common sense on where you get your water and you'll be just fine.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel