Diesel transfer tank

Has anyone made a diesel transfer tank from a semis 100 gallon fuel tank? Did you make a cradle or use the a mounting bracket, straps and steps that some come with to keep steady in the bed and strap it in to keep it from moving? 
just toying around with the idea. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Diesel fuel weights 7.1 lbs./gallon.  that will add 710 pounds, plus tank weight and materials to fasten it in place to a pickup.

What truck are you planning to carry this with?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

39 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Diesel fuel weights 7.1 lbs./gallon.  that will add 710 pounds, plus tank weight and materials to fasten it in place to a pickup.

What truck are you planning to carry this with?

But that weight is cut in half. As the front axle picks up the weight also. Unless I was to place it behind the axle, but who would do that. 
I have a 4x2 Regular Cab DRW CTD. This configuration is the best offered as far as towing and carrying weight. My main tank is only 28 gallons vs 32-35 gallons. I have about 600lbs more until I max my GVAW on the rear axle. 
So I’m guessing you have never done it then.

Edited by rynosback

2 hours ago, palmeris said:

Replacement tanks

Did the 65 gallon xl . Best upgrade ,worth the price. Legal, nothing taking up bed space. 

I’ve read about those. Not looking to spend 2k. That is why I was looking at transfer tanks. And if I want to pull it from the bed for more room or to reduce weight because of my load, I can do that too. My main reason is to carry more fuel when going to AK in 2025. As you can tell I’m a planner. 🤣

Edited by rynosback

We're halfway to Alaska for most people. In most people's case, fuel anxiety is HIGHLY overrated. Talk to people going north, raise an eyebrow at some of the modifications made. Talk to them again in the fall, south bound, and they laugh about how many other things there were to worry about that never even crossed their mind. We've built sleds for repurposed fuel tanks. Just make sure your pads are wide enough to support the tank, and rubber spacers to protect the tank. Aluminum is soft.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

We're halfway to Alaska for most people. In most people's case, fuel anxiety is HIGHLY overrated. Talk to people going north, raise an eyebrow at some of the modifications made. Talk to them again in the fall, south bound, and they laugh about how many other things there were to worry about that never even crossed their mind. We've built sleds for repurposed fuel tanks. Just make sure your pads are wide enough to support the tank, and rubber spacers to protect the tank. Aluminum is soft.

Great point about the using Aluminum tanks. As it would be mounted differently then designed. In one of manufacture groups on FB a guy said you would want a brush, cattle guard, and air ride hitch and auxiliary fuel tank and a Rock Tamer, rock guard. I believe he is on his way back to the lower 48 now.
Originally I was looking at the plastic transfer tanks as I was worried about CRAP being in the bottom of the tank. As we all know how critical it is to have good clean diesel in trucks. They seem to come in 56 or 116 gallon tanks. And then calculating how much fuel would be needed to save to pay for it. Which a trip to AK won’t in my calculations. That’s even based on paying $6?? Something a gallon for fuel. Range, weight, space, ect. I really try to think of all angles on things.  So then my brain goes to thinking outside of the box is what lead me to this option. So I guess I’m kinda thinking out loud and learning from people with the experience.

Thanks for any feedback. 

Edited by rynosback

On 8/26/2023 at 9:01 PM, rynosback said:

But that weight is cut in half. As the front axle picks up the weight also. Unless I was to place it behind the axle, but who would do that. 
I have a 4x2 Regular Cab DRW CTD. This configuration is the best offered as far as towing and carrying weight. My main tank is only 28 gallons vs 32-35 gallons. I have about 600lbs more until I max my GVAW on the rear axle. 
So I’m guessing you have never done it then.

Nope, never did that mod. The cost/benefit was upside down. It would never pay for itself, even buying fuel in the lowest cost states in the lower 48. Then there was the weight issue of the full tank that nailed the coffin closed.

At that time I had a 2002 Chevy Duramax  CC, LB, 4x4 dually, the GVWR was only 11,800#, truck weighed 7,600#. I was towing a 15,500# 40' 5er.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961