OT: Davco fuel filter

SuiteSuccess

I have the Davco fuel filter pictured below.  Normally I hold a Solo cup under it to drain water because of its location on my frame.  Want to add a fitting and hose to make it more accessible.  Has anyone done this? And do you know what size barbed fitting to buy?  Also is it male or female fitting?

2BY1kfFl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

16 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Link to davco drain valve on davco's site.

Or, google "davco drain valve threads.

Appears to be 1/2" NPT. I'd use 1/2" hose. Any  hydraulic store should be able to make up a short single braid or even textile braid low pressure hose with 1/2" npt ends easy enough.

Thanks.  Yeah, I just found that same page.  I found the 382 specs page but it didn’t list drain size.  Parts page showed it.  I’ve got some braided fuel hose so probably just barbed fitting and hose clamp.  Wife doesn’t like me getting “greasy “ ever time we’re leaving on trip by reaching between the rails, lol.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

17 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I just found that same page.  I found the 382 specs page but it didn’t list drain size.  Parts page showed it.  I’ve got some braided fuel hose so probably just barbed fitting and hose clamp.  Wife doesn’t like me getting “greasy “ ever time we’re leaving on trip by reaching between the rails, lol.

I absolutely hate the smell of ulsd. I do everything I can to not get that stuff on me if I'm going to be in a cab. I don't know why, it just bothers me. Gear lube, or most any other service product not so much. But the ulsd, more so than the old diesel, really bothers me.

I'm a work'n on it.

Ok Davco confirmed on drain valve both male and female threads are 1/2”-14 NPT

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Final solution to close the thread. Drain valve is 1/2” -14 NPT.  Found a barbed fitting in brass at HD.  I originally put on 1/2” i.d. clear vinyl hose and ran along the rail but after researching melting point of the vinyl tubing felt engine heat “might” become an issue so switching to 1/2” i.d. heater hose for the run.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Final solution to close the thread. Drain valve is 1/2” -14 NPT.  Found a barbed fitting in brass at HD.  I originally put on 1/2” i.d. clear vinyl hose and ran along the rail but after researching melting point of the vinyl tubing felt engine heat “might” become an issue so switching to 1/2” i.d. heater hose for the run.

👍 Ok, now, just for conversation sake, not advice, but "heater" hose typically has no fuel rating. I have had even old school fuel rated hose dissolve in new fuel. Of course that took time, not over night or anything. But if the valve is at the davco, then heater hose would be no worry. If however, the hose open to fuel 24/7 and the valve is later on the frame, I'd worry about the fuel softening the heater hose and rupturing. Just fwiw. IMO etc.

I'm a work'n on it.

It’s drainage only.  Not inline fuel hose. Suspect it will probably last as long as I need it and if it deteriorates, so be it.  For further explanation, my barbed connection was 1/2” and none of the auto supply had 1/2” i.d. fuel line.  Will check at NAPA today.  I’m also cheap, don’t want to go spend another $10 for a brass barbed connector with smaller diameter.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

8 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Always use fuel line hose for any rubber fuel line applications. You never want your rubber to break in a critical situation....😉

Point noted.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

13 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

Slide the clear on just to drain, remove after drain complete, problem solved

Considered that but my nature to solving a problem is permanence.  Don’t like a lot of moving parts to keep up with, lol.  Also satisfies my OCD. 😊

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

31 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

Some can be permanent, others, a temporary basis.

Yep, I don’t disagree. 🙂

2017 DRV 39DBRS3