2001 VNL Exhaust

aknavy

Had my exhaust converted to a weed burner to accommodate a big drom box a couple years ago.  In the conversion, no real muffler was put on.  Not that big of a deal till you do multiple long travel days in a row, and the wife gets tired of listening to the truck. 

So - any recommendations for a muffler to add to it?  There's alot of room under the passenger side. 

Anyone run a muffler on a weed burner, and does it make a noticeable noise difference?

Would I be better off taking the seats out and running Dynomat on the floor?

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

16 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

I/ would imagine the Dynomat would help.

I had the muffler shop change mine out after they installed one that sounded like I was at the drag strip!  I liked the new one a lot better.

Yeah, ours is pretty loud, especially if there's a Jersey barrier close by.  It's bearable on short travel days, but long ones get annoying.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

Walker, along with others, build a muffler with end in/out connections. Go online, or pull up a stool at the local parts house, and start browsing.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 minute ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Walker, along with others, build a muffler with end in/out connections. Go online, or pull up a stool at the local parts house, and start browsing.

Looking at the Walker Mega Flow on their site now.  Any experience with specific models?

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

I don't remember the particular model we have. Internals reminded me of the old Thrush mufflers, with stamped scoops to funnel the sound to the matting. Turn it around, and it's instantly "better" for kids.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I've had the good fortune to replace 3 of those type mufflers in the past few years, one on a VNL, one on a Mack, and one on a John Deere.  I bought all of them at my local Mack dealer, who treats me well.  All were well under $100 ea.

I would think any truck parts house would have what you need.  A little time with a hack saw, and a wrench or two, one muffler and two band clamps and your bride will thank you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

59 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I've had the good fortune to replace 3 of those type mufflers in the past few years, one on a VNL, one on a Mack, and one on a John Deere.  I bought all of them at my local Mack dealer, who treats me well.  All were well under $100 ea.

I would think any truck parts house would have what you need.  A little time with a hack saw, and a wrench or two, one muffler and two band clamps and your bride will thank you.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it at our next stop.  When I paid the have the exhaust converted, I assumed it would have some type of muffler, and realized later that it did not. Now, after two years of running around the country we're tired of the noise.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

28 minutes ago, CHIEFWAHO said:

Hewhoknowslittle sent me this info from when he did a weed burner on his Volvo

image.png.670d56a58cb78511d4f9e484a9e1159d.png

image.thumb.png.64293b409386ed721e0ac4d1d60f6fc2.png

muffler.jpg

Not a bad looking setup, but my bed would turn that in to a big project.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

I don't know the particulars on your truck, but some use a 4" pipe from the turbo to the muffler, then a 5" outlet from there.  Our Mack and JD both were configured that way.  I've only seen the 4" on motors of 13L or less, but then, I haven't seen them all.

I really like the install in the pic.  Nicely done. The level shows they cared.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net