Determining residency

Insuance

We are former Iowa residents and changed to SD 4 years ago. Now SD doesn’t want FT rvers to vote if they just have an address. So trying to calculate best option. SD, Iowa, Indiana or Texas. We are in Texas in winter and trying to find a place in Indiana in summer. So currently finding that vehicle registration is cheapest in Texas but insurance is cheapest in Midwest. I’m just curious if anyone has a good insurance company with good rates in Texas as I can’t do anything on the registrations! Thanks

I thought I read that if you're already a resident; nothing changes regarding voting.  I'd advise checking on that before you go changing everything.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As others have asked, do you mean domicle?

There was a SD house bill and Senate bill this year on voting that would have impacted those who declare SD as their domicle. Both failed. Search for "South Dakota Voter's Rights" in the Escapees forum for more discussion.

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

• 3 weeks later...

I read where one bill was to remove names of those from the voting rolls if their address was one of the PMB locations. Interesting that it was left up to the clerks office in charge of the rolls but they were not obligated to remove those names.  One of the complaints about the PMB voting is that one day does not a resident make and actual 30 day requirement of residing in the state should be imposed.  There is one problem with denying the right to vote, it's against the law at least for federal elections.  Motor voter law of 1993.  

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

11 hours ago, jjwicklund said:

There is one problem with denying the right to vote, it's against the law at least for federal elections.  Motor voter law of 1993.  

While not SD domicile I honestly could care less about being involved in local voting issues, which I think is probably true of most full time RVers since nothing there generally affects us. We use our daughter's address in Texas for domicile and the only time I have voted on a local issue was a school district issue which would impact our daughter's pay as she works for the district and even in that election I left everything else blank as I simply did not know enough to make an informed vote. I have voted in all the federal elections though.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

While not SD domicile I honestly could care less about being involved in local voting issues, which I think is probably true of most full time RVers since nothing there generally affects us. We use our daughter's address in Texas for domicile and the only time I have voted on a local issue was a school district issue which would impact our daughter's pay as she works for the district and even in that election I left everything else blank as I simply did not know enough to make an informed vote. I have voted in all the federal elections though.

When we were domiciled in SD that was our policy--only vote on federal issues unless it was something that would affect the RVing community.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 months later...

A bit of a late response, but here it is -- with the hope that this post may help someone.........

We have been residents of Indiana for many years, but becoming full-time RV'ers last year gave us options to consider.  We first took the beginning steps toward establishing TX domicile.  But along the way, we have found that for us, our auto insurance, (large) motorhome insurance, Medicare Supplement Insurance, sales tax, driver's license situation (no special license for our large motorhome), all were better in Indiana.  Since we still own a physical address (plot of land) in Indiana, we have delayed establishing TX domicile until the "no state Personal Income Tax" situation and other factors would actually favor TX domicile FOR US.

The bottom line:  examine your entire and unique situation, then make the best decision FOR YOU AND YOURS regarding where to establish domicile, given all YOUR relevant factors.

Travel Free!  

HMFunk

2008 NRC Custom Class Mega-C 45' Motorhome w Freightliner Columbia Chassis

& 515 HP Pre-Emissions Detroit Diesel

plus Meritor Freedomline Automated Manual Transmission

Edited by HMFunk
incomplete info

H&M Funk 

2008 NRC 45-Foot ”Super-Duper C” Motorhome on 2007 Freightliner Columbia Chassis

2006 Pre-Emissions Detroit 14L 515HP 1650Ft/Lbs Torque Series 60 Engine w/ 12-speed ZF Meritor Freedomline

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel