From bed to dinette

Steve from SoCal

This is the work that went into replacing the lower bunk with facing settees and building out a twin size bunk above the dinette.    My truck a 2005 Peterbilt 387 was never offered with a dinette or 'studio sleeper' like some Kenworth trucks.    I installed a sink, fridge and other stuff to make the truck a valid 'RV' and had intended to do this long ago.    Life takes many turns and I just now have been able to do the work.    This was both straight forward and confounding to do, many things were in just the right place, while some simple things were anything but.    The seats are 40" wide and the upper bunk was raised 6" to allow for more headroom in the dinette.     I have many adjustment to make and a few trim panels to upholster but the end is in sight.   

Pics will follow, I am just having a coffee between jobs.  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We're anxiously awaiting the pics.  It ought to be pretty cool.

How many years have you been working on this truck?  I remember when you posted a bunch of bed build pics, roughly 5-6 years ago?  A refresher would be nice, if you can dig up those old pics.  Some day, you'll have it just like you've envisioned.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

We're anxiously awaiting the pics.  It ought to be pretty cool.

How many years have you been working on this truck?  I remember when you posted a bunch of bed build pics, roughly 5-6 years ago?  A refresher would be nice, if you can dig up those old pics.  Some day, you'll have it just like you've envisioned.

Rick,

Good memory, 

I did the original conversion winter 2017/ 2018.     I don't know what happened to the original stuff I posted, I will try to do some before/after pics.    Problem is, many of the pics are not of the right perspective.     I also failed to take pics while I was doing a lot of the demo in the sleeper.   And, posting pics here is a pain in the butt!

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I'm looking for the "like" button.....

Oh, and Steve, if you think my memory is good, talk to my wife.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hard at it and it seems like little has changed.    Getting the trim panels mounted was more than I ever expeceted, I used sailrite buoyclips to mount everything and getting the panels to line up after the fact was a real cluster.

I killed two days installing a pyrometer and boost gauge, ended up routing the wiring through the door jambs.   I also put some driving lights in the bumper.    

The table I came up with is a two piece top, 40" long the break is at 26" from the front.    This allows entry to the settees without squezing and also gives good access to the under settee storage.    I made the table tops with 1/2" ply faces and 1 inch foam cores.    I wanted to try something different so I upholstered the tops

PXL-20230708-034508510.jpg

PXL-20230708-034419924.jpg

Edited by Steve from SoCal