Durango & Silverton Railroad Silverton Station

Has anyone opted to stay at the Silverton RV Park next to the Silverton Station and done the Train ride from that location? Is it possible to walk up for tickets as opposed to Reservations?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

We used to live in that area (Ouray) and my memory is the train is solidly booked through the nice weather months. I would call the train and see if you can get tickets. All of the rides we took were from Durango to Silverton and back - so I don't think there is an option to start from Silverton. Backpackers get off and on at specific stops so maybe there is some flexibility? Good luck!

PS Silverton is a great place to stay if you like hiking (trails are close) but super expensive compared to other areas - it is a tiny town and they make most of their profit off of tourists during the summer.

There are bus/train excursions.

Ride the train up and return to Durango via the bus.  Going up in the morning eliminates the afternoon showers and the train can be a cold ride back when it rains.

https://www.durangotrain.com/excursions/round-trip-silverton-train-tour/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Are you looking at going from Silverton down to Durango and then find other means to return to Silverton?  Or were you thinking of taking the train from Silverton round trip, on the same day?  Or going one way?

I don’t know what the schedule is at the moment, but a couple of weeks ago, there was 1 train running and it went up in the morning and down in the afternoon.  If that schedule still holds, then you would have to have somewhere to stay in Durango overnight if taking the train both ways, or else other means of transportation to get back up to Silverton (and the train got in fairly late in the afternoon).

It was possible to get on the train in Silverton and go down - a couple got on the train in Silverton who had gone up the day before, spent the night in Silverton and then were going back down on the train I was on.  And I know they do the train/bus option from Durango.

As was pointed out above, train reservations are booked well in advance.  I was in Durango the week before Memorial Day and booked my seat over a week prior - there were few seats available and I got the last seat in the car I was in.