Selling a Thor Sequence (B Class) With Only 3,500 miles???

Sky King76

The wife and I are trying again after a failed inspection but this time rather than a class C we are looking at a class B. There is an individual who is selling a 2021 Sequence for 87 firm with 34K but at Camping World we can buy a 2022 with only around 3500 miles with an asking price of 105 but an out the door price of 89.

Shouldn’t the wife and I be extremely suspicious of a brand new class B that only has around 3000 miles? What is up with that? As a matter of fact Camping World had a second class B that had around the same number of miles!

Thanks for your response…going back to look at the one at Camping World late this afternoon. I was somewhat shocked because the sales guy followed up today with a call and I told him thanks but we are looking in the 80’s not low 100’s. His boss calls back, said it’s only been on consignment for a week. Said I understood completely and if somebody want to pay 105K good for you but we will only pay in the 80’s. Sales guy calls back and says the seller “doesn’t want to make another payment”. I don’t necessarily believe that but that’s not relevant to the negotiation.

Is this common where somebody buys an RV and after a few thousand miles decides they don’t like it and have the money to burn? Surely to God it wasn’t an issue of problems with the RV since it’s brand new and under warranty…right?

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

In 2008, we sold a brand new Class B after using it for only 4 months. It was not a good fit for us. Fortunately, the Class C we traded it for was MUCH better.

Linda

There ya go. Different sales guy today who knew little about the RV but said it’s already on consignment for the reason you sold yours or RV traveling wasn’t for him or the financial situation changed significantly. We’re at 93,500 out the door and they were at 95,500. We figured at 93,500 OTD, that’s what we’ll pay with taxes on the older one with a lot more miles. 

I don’t know you particular circumstance but there doesn’t seem to be a huge depreciation hit on Class B RV’s like cars but I could be mistaken. OTOH…it could be the huge bump in RV usage since the pandemic or I could be way off, I suppose.

I'm not in the market nor have I ever seriously looked at one, but one thing I wouldn't do is believe anything from Camping World. Just my opinion and not from personal experience, just the stories. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I'm not in the market nor have I ever seriously looked at one, but one thing I wouldn't do is believe anything from Camping World. Just my opinion and not from personal experience, just the stories. 

Rod

Yeah…as someone who sold airplanes and reading comments from you and others on here, I just kinda know going in not to believe anything because every word goes to how they’re gonna make an extra buck…everything. I just saw it as swimming with sharks but I’m a shark so…

I was frankly shocked but they agreed to the 93,500 OTD 20 minutes before closing and the sales guy is off tomorrow…the last day of the month. The sales guy did make one last stab at draining a little more out of me by saying the price is agreed to and fill out the credit app online and we’ll be set when you get here. Nope…cash. They get a loan kickback but I wasn’t feeling generous. A little while later I got a call from the finance office making a run at getting a loan. She was nice but still… I even suspect they will try to pull something tomorrow and we will walk. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Rod

👍 from experience 1 time

Yes…and I got the impression this Camping World is run by morons. We have been fortunate to afford luxury vehicles over the decades, so in comparison these sales people and staff…are just above incompetent. On top of that, the sales kid yesterday was telling my Ivy League lawyer wife the “girls” upstairs take care of the paperwork and registration. I calmly explained on the drive home that RV’ers work hard, enjoy simple things in life, are conservative and all that entails. 

I think one advantage we have Dan is they know we are walking in with a cashier check and don’t need them to beg a bank to approve our loan app. We can walk out and go buy from someone else…no problem.

Sky,

We have that same advantage and like banks many customer service reps expect folks to come hat in hand like their deigning to approve us for a loan is a great power like the great and powerful Oz. Only their curtain is the "Manager's office."

I am beginning to think RV dealerships/chains pay sales folks little and do little training for plausible deniability when the rig they said could pull it can't stop it in trailers, or that the motorized camper had no carrying capacity or was uncontrollable in wind or when passed by a semi.

Using Sprinter type vans for Class Bs surprised me as I have not gone shopping for a Class B used or a teardrop I could pull with my Forester. My Forester can't pull any equipped RV of any style and $100-$130k sticker prices were a shock. But I do like the fact they have the same driver protection above the chassis as passenger vehicles must have AFAIK and that is a big plus over many slab side Class As by and large.

I am beginning to think RV dealerships/chains pay sales folks little and do little training for plausible deniability when the rig they said could pull it can't stop it in trailers, or that the motorized camper had no carrying capacity or was uncontrollable in wind or when passed by a semi.

Are you planning to full time in it or part time? What state/region are you buying in? I would at this stage start going to RV Parks and talking to managers about any rigs they know of for sale and try a used unit out.

There are lots of online buying checklists to evaluate a used rig. I also believe you did well in paying for a failed inspection. It saved you thousands in dollars and lots of stress.

You could also specify what you are looking for in a classified ad offering to pay what the dealer would give in trade for a used rig. If they are not buying another RV or need to trade for tax reasons that can save a lot.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The deal is done…other than the temporary license plate coming off on the way home and they have to overnight a new one.

Check this out…during that $1,700 “inspection and make ready”, which we didn’t pay for, we get there and water had overflowed the sink because the grey tank was full and water ran on the floor. We were FURIOUS. The kid shows me everything, then I take my inspection list from forum members here and Ruby on YouTube, ask him to unplug shore power and turn on the generator…NOTHING. Why??? Because this thing has the lithium battery option…no GENERATOR🙄 When I saw if on Memorial Day and even yesterday, there was zero mention of no generator. I don’t think any of the sales guys knew. I remember reading somewhere the lithium battery option was expensive, so I agreed to continue with the sale. I actually figured Camping World didn’t know about the expensive option or the price might have been higher.

Great you are on the road. I think you'll be fine. Do the batteries run the A/C?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

10 hours ago, Sky King76 said:

Yes…and I got the impression this Camping World is run by morons. We have been fortunate to afford luxury vehicles over the decades, so in comparison these sales people and staff…are just above incompetent. On top of that, the sales kid yesterday was telling my Ivy League lawyer wife the “girls” upstairs take care of the paperwork and registration. I calmly explained on the drive home that RV’ers work hard, enjoy simple things in life, are conservative and all that entails. 

I think one advantage we have Dan is they know we are walking in with a cashier check and don’t need them to beg a bank to approve our loan app. We can walk out and go buy from someone else…no problem.

We did the same when looking for a custom build. We knew what we wanted and knew when a certain person was making something up thinking we believed them. Have been camping our whole lives with many different types of campers. Sales people are funny sometimes but you have to watch them all. And I mean all of them

20 minutes ago, Danfreda1 said:

We did the same when looking for a custom build. We knew what we wanted and knew when a certain person was making something up thinking we believed them. Have been camping our whole lives with many different types of campers. Sales people are funny sometimes but you have to watch them all. And I mean all of them

One of my favorite experiences is when a young salesperson followed Dave and I as we talked about that we were seeing as he was interested in learning from us. There are a few good ones out there; they just need to be taught.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That’s right Linda. If the sales person listened there would be less time wasted showing things that are not of interest.

I did learn at this New Jersey location a huge chunk of their business is trailers or I guess fifth wheelers, I’m not sure what that is but trailers. They only had 4 B class on the whole lot. They said their sales are chiefly for people who take the trailer to a Jersey shore RV and leave it there for the summer. 

They said B class RV’s are all over the south for some reason.

Edited by Sky King76

I’m very tempted to go back over there…only about 15 minutes from here, and ask where our damn brand new hose is AND based upon one of the manuals, I’m going to tell them to search this RV top to bottom until they can find the expensive surge protector. Yes I know they stole it from the prior owner but I’m furious.

I’m still mystified over that sticker still being on the glove box after 3,000 miles.

Thor Sequence 20L - Camping World of Bridgeport - 2244882Z.jpeg

Do the batteries run the A/C just curious.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Yes…the batteries run the A\C. I’m pretty sure this one has the “standard” 200Ah so I’ll have to boondock a few times to see how well it holds up. The one solar panel is good to run the lights I guess. I believe in one of the videos a Thor engineer said it puts out about 9 amps?? I now see you can get a 400Ah and I believe 800Ah setups on this rig.

I did go back late yesterday and asked the sales guy WTF…there’s no generator. He acted surprised at my question. Said he’d never seen a Thor Sequence WITH a generator. Huh??? I just saw a 2021 with a generator. One thing he did say that made sense was the RV actually does have a generator…it’s the engine itself. I will have to check this particular unit but from all the videos and everything I’ve seen, there’s a button you can push somewhere on the dash when parked so if the battery levels get below 30% the engine automatically starts and runs the battery up to 80%. It will do that up to 5 times. 

Same with the RAM Linda but I’d forgotten…thanks. Think I’ll put a sticker of some sort on the button as a reminder. I saw a YouTube video from a really sweet couple who travel full time with a trailer and they suggested putting a sticker or card on the dash with the RV height, so you can glance at it on a moments notice. No doubt there will be many of those tips we’ll learn on here as well.