RVers “had” by Nomad Internet’s mobile internet scheme

10 hours ago, RV_ said:

Interesting. I didn't know that either. I learn something every time we interact. If they started and had financial issues it would make sense if Verizon bought them for their respective customer bases but that is just conjecture on my part.

My understanding is that Tracfone was quite healthy financially, but Mexican parent América Móvil wanted to expand their Mexico, Central, and South American operations using the funding from the Tracfone sale to Verizon. I won't be surprised to see some consolidation of the brands eventually though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You got me looking there.Verizon bought Trac in 2021 I saw. We older folks remember the old days when Ma Bell was the only telecommunications option and they were only wired. Thus the "10-4 Good Buddy what's your 20" CB days. We've come a long way. I hear Nextel is trying to resurrect a cell service now that Sprint was absorbed by TMobile.

Reminds me of the turn of the century and Craig McCaw/Nextel/Clearwire. And in the 1990s the Internet and email opened global communications. I used to chat on QLink with Commodores on a 300 Baud modem in the 80s. Also at the turn of the century EchoStar and Hughes launched satellite Internet because broadband was too slow and the TELCOs made a serious error in calling connecting the country by fiber was too expensive. So they ceded the Internet to the cable companies. And those are only a few of the many highlights to smart phones and free video calls anywhere on the planet without being a millionaire.

And now with LEO satellites we will soon have at least one constellation of satellites from Space X providing high speed Internet to and from almost anywhere on the planet.

Fun times to be alive in all tech aspects. AI (Artificial Intelligence) may solidify our gains or destroy us. We will find out however. That genie is already out of the bottle.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Fun times to be alive in all tech aspects. AI (Artificial Intelligence) may solidify our gains or destroy us. We will find out however. That genie is already out of the bottle.

And , she's even kinda cute :

Goes around , comes around .

6 hours ago, RV_ said:

And now with LEO satellites we will soon have at least one constellation of satellites from Space X providing high speed Internet to and from almost anywhere on the planet.

Starlink is now serving Antarctica, making it even more of the planet that's covered.

I'm really hoping that AI research will eventually lead to some amazing advances in medical science. I've been interacting a lot closer with the medical community lately than I like due to a thankfully fairly mild stroke that's affected my speech, dexterity, and mobility. Speech and physical therapy have been very helpful, and I'm hoping for a full recovery eventually. I've seen other stroke victims that are much worse off than me, but an example of my issues; typing this post has taken most of an hour so far. I don't know what more science can do for those with much more severe problems in various areas of medicine, but I hope significant progress can be made soon.

Dutch

22 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Starlink is now serving Antarctica, making it even more of the planet that's covered.

I didn't know that. Kewl!

I'm really hoping that AI research will eventually lead to some amazing advances in medical science. I've been interacting a lot closer with the medical community lately than I like due to a thankfully fairly mild stroke that's affected my speech, dexterity, and mobility. Speech and physical therapy have been very helpful, and I'm hoping for a full recovery eventually. I've seen other stroke victims that are much worse off than me, but an example of my issues; typing this post has taken most of an hour so far. I don't know what more science can do for those with much more severe problems in various areas of medicine, but I hope significant progress can be made soon.

I am so sorry you have to go through all of that! That is what is great about our progress in all areas of science, we can have realistic hope.

But I am really glad your prognosis like is excellent and you dodged the final bullet there.

MY answers in blue.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

MY answers in blue.

Thank you, Derek. We have a Memorial Day week stay at a NY state park coming up about 2 hours from our current site. Our daughter and her boyfriend will drive the motorhome there and help us get set up. Looking forward to it.

Dutch

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy yourselves! with everything budding out now it should be gorgeous in NY. The lush green spring and fall colors from that area are gorgeous.    

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

16 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Big improvement over previous inflatable girlfriends?     😄

LOL . Good one . ;)

I never tried one or cared for inflatable plastic . Probably because just about every air mattress I ever slept on went flat or was soon to be flat .

Goes around , comes around .