Advice on buying an RV in USA

SuzieQ

Very excited to join this forum which I discovered while I was gathering information on buying an RV in the USA. My hubby and I are Australian citizens.
We have been RV-ing in Europe, on an off, since 2011. We store the motorhome in the UK before flying home at the completion of our tours. We are currently in France and fly home mid June.
We would really love the opportunity to move our exploring to the US and would greatly appreciate any advice on how a non resident can own, register and insure an RV to explore the USA. Apologies if I have missed a thread already offering advice

kind regards

Suzie.

19 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Very excited to join this forum which I discovered while I was gathering information on buying an RV in the USA. My hubby and I are Australian citizens.
We have been RV-ing in Europe, on an off, since 2011. We store the motorhome in the UK before flying home at the completion of our tours. We are currently in France and fly home mid June.
We would really love the opportunity to move our exploring to the US and would greatly appreciate any advice on how a non resident can own, register and insure an RV to explore the USA. Apologies if I have missed a thread already offering advice

kind regards

Suzie.

This is not an easy question to answer.  Buying and insuring will be the easy part, it's registering that might be sticky.  In the US, vehicles are registered by state - California, Arkansas, Florida, etc. - and in order to register a vehicle in any state, you must be a resident of that state.  This means that you must live in that state for at least part of the year and have a bank account there, or pay bills and/or taxes there, or something to show you have a physical attachment to that state.  It can be done, but others will have to chime in here and give you more specifics.

Perhaps there are other foreigners on here who have done this and can give you specific advice.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

Contact the Excapees headquarters for information in setting up in Livingston, TX.  They may have some ideas.

We knew one couple from Denmark that kept a motorhome here and registered in Texas.  They came over and traveled on their visas and then back to Denmark with the motorhome stored in the southern USA awaiting their return.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

23 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

kind regards

Suzie.

Thank-you to everyone so far. I understand it may be tricky, as it can be in the United Kingdom. I’m guessing we’ll have our work cut out for us but what an amazing opportunity if I can meet requirements to get this underway.

Again very appreciative of advice

Suzie.

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

With any luck, Bruce T will reply as he lives in Gold Coast and kept an RV in the USA for many years. 

Kirk, It might be helpful to put a date on Bruce's post so people will know how current that information is. We all know how rapidly some things change while others stay the same for a long time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm here!

It's not as hard as it may seem. But from experience some make it overly complicated.

Caveat- it's been a few years since we sold up in the USA. 2018. So things may have changed.

Join Escapees. And get your address. 

Open a bank account if you can. I know BofA will help non residents. Now a caveat. I'm not 100% sure a bank account is essential. But it will help. You can't get a SSN so be prepared for a few complications.

Find your RV.

Insure your RV. It MUST be insured first to get registration. Note - registration does NOT include the compulsory insurance as it does in Australia. Sit down because your insurance will be expensive by Australian standards.

Register your RV in Livingston using the Escapee address. 

Go RVing.

Caveat - this is all assuming you buy and register in Texas. Something I would recommend.

Caveat - each county has different registration requirements re inspections etc. Be prepared for those differences.

PM me if you need any help

Bruce

Linda the link Kirk posted is from 2009. I haven't read through it for some time but doing so just now I can't see much that is out of date. Phones and internet aside much of the information is still relevant.

Anyone who is considering such an adventure is encouraged to do their homework and double check everything. What worked for us may, or may not, work for others.

10 hours ago, bruce t said:

I'm here!

It's not as hard as it may seem. But from experience some make it overly complicated.

Caveat- it's been a few years since we sold up in the USA. 2018. So things may have changed.

Join Escapees. And get your address. 

Open a bank account if you can. I know BofA will help non residents. Now a caveat. I'm not 100% sure a bank account is essential. But it will help. You can't get a SSN so be prepared for a few complications.

Find your RV.

Insure your RV. It MUST be insured first to get registration. Note - registration does NOT include the compulsory insurance as it does in Australia. Sit down because your insurance will be expensive by Australian standards.

Register your RV in Livingston using the Escapee address. 

Go RVing.

Caveat - this is all assuming you buy and register in Texas. Something I would recommend.

Caveat - each county has different registration requirements re inspections etc. Be prepared for those differences.

PM me if you need any help

Bruce

Thanks so much Bruce… the insurance in the UK is three (3) times more expensive for non residents, than residents, so point thankfully accepted, we will factor this into our budget. The East of the USA and particularly the south east, would be a perfect starting place for us… Thankyou. 
Suzie

1 hour ago, SuzieQ said:

The East of the USA and particularly the south east, would be a perfect starting place for us

I suggest that you take a close look at Texas before you choose with Florida as your other alternative if being east is important. Very few states allow you to use a mail service as the address to register a vehicle, but both of them do so. In most states your are required to have physical address of an apartment or house for vehicle registration. Also it is important to understand that in the USA, many such things are controlled by the state government and so laws vary from one to the next. Individual states have much more control here than in most countries. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One other consideration. Storage. For the last 10 years we based ourselves around Dallas/Fort Worth. We were lucky finding storage each time we returned to Australia. But storage can be very hard to find. 

We also used Dallas as there is a direct flight back to Australia. That saves more than one headache.