Strange awning problem

Some time back I replaced motor and spring in our awning. Ever since controls have been reversed. It would go out good but come in by stopping and having to restart it. Simply release switch and enguage again and it go. Have to do this several times to get in. Yesterday I reversed wires to get direction corrected. Now it comes in good but going out is problem. So has nothing to do with spring tension. Does this with remote and wall switch. It works but is a misterery to me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Since the problem moved with the reversing of the connections, it must not be a mechanical or a motor problem. I would start by monitoring the voltage to the motor in each direction to see if they are different. If so, work backward to see where the voltage drop is taking place. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It sounds like there may be a wiring issue with your awning motor. Reversing the wires to change the direction of the motor may have caused a problem with the wiring or the connections. This could be causing the intermittent behavior that you're experiencing when using the awning controls.

I would recommend checking all the wiring connections to make sure they are secure and properly connected. You may want to consult the manufacturer's instructions for the motor or seek the help of a professional electrician or repair person to diagnose and fix the issue.

It's also possible that the problem is with the control switches or the remote. You could try replacing these components to see if that resolves the issue.

In any case, it's important to address the issue as soon as possible, as an improperly functioning awning could be a safety hazard.

26 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

How can that be a safety issue? 

Other than opening when traveling, I can't think of any way it would be an electrical safety problem. Since the motor is DC, reversing to polarity is the way that the motor changes directions so there should be no problem with that at all. That is exactly what the switch does for in or out, unless you have some unique design that I have never seen. To quote the Precision Motors website: "Simply put, DC motors can turn in either direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and can be easily controlled by inverting the polarity of the applied .." 

As I said previously, I do think that it might point you in the right direction to monitor the voltage each direction to see if it might be low in the problem direction. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

The most obvious in my mind would be the possibility of the awning coming open unexpectedly, saying going down the road or on a very windy day. 

No idea how that could happen. It works in it goes in and out and stays where it is put. Just stopping every foot or so of travel in one direction only. Worked perfectly before the motor gear stripped out and I put new one in. I couldn't understand either why controls were reversed. Can't plug it in wrong. I reversed wiring coming out of controller. I will put a monitor on it tomorrow. I have a 12v drill battery. Going to disconnect wiring tomorrow and bypass controller. See what happens.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1