Cloning a disk with Macrium Reflect 8 Free

RV_

To clone a disk you need an external drive dock for the new larger SSD be that a  SATA 2.5" SSD replacing a HDD, or the newest form factor the M.2 NVMe. With those in hand you download Macrium Reflect free from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree# then follow the directions in the video below. Be sure you understand it by watching it a couple of time first. As usual everything is at your own risk.

When you are done just swap the new larger clone with your old smaller one and put that aside as a security measure until you're sure the clone works perfectly. I cloned a disk in my new system with just over 100GB in under six minutes. Very fast cloning from an MVNe drive to an MVNe drive using fast USB C from the computer to USB C external drive dock.

I use this for my 2.5" & 3.5" SATA drives: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-External-Enclosure-Docking-ST0014U-D/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=1330409634118080&hvadid=83150673155393&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=90534&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83150946958342%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=18038_10527441&keywords=thermaltake%2Bdocking%2Bstation&qid=1664343088&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjA0IiwicXNhIjoiMS4zOCIsInFzcCI6IjAuNTkifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-3&th=1

I use this for my M.2 NVMe drives: https://www.amazon.com/Support-Docking-External-Enclosure-SATA-Based/dp/B09K2WVT3M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=38WOR2J4DNQV8&keywords=Acasis%2Bdrive%2Bdock&qid=1664343202&sprefix=acasis%2Bdrive%2Bdock%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-4&th=1

Safe Computing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Okay, well I had problems with this thing - cause I don't know what I'm doing with it.
My problem with a "system image" is that, after complete, I could not go to the external drive and find the file I needed.
I was stumped.  
It doesn't work that way.

But not all is lost, after I did some Google searching I found System Image vs Backup at File Level: Which is the Best and Why? - a very good, quick, easy tutorial.

Ultimately, I think that I will want both a System Image AND a File Level backup - which will probably require TWO different external backup hard drives.

Macrium looks promising.  I think a file level backup has greater importance in the event of a drive crash.  At least I could get my files as needed with a file level backup.
Thanks, and keep the tips coming.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Rich that is almost as good as it gets for me. I add a third level. I pretty much always get a system with the CPU and Mobo specs I want, but I need a 1 TB main drive and the secondary internal storage drive 1TB as well. But I tend to buy 128 or 256GB main SSD drives today and if I like the system I upgrade where I can select the SSD I want both in capacity and speed with heat control a factor in All in One and Surface Tablets with upgradable SSD.

That third backup is keeping the original drive. I usually build my new systems with all my paid for and free software, files, music, pics and docs. To see if I like the speed and other factors to decide if it is a keeper. I have the original 128GB Surface Pro 7+ drive since I upgraded to a 1TB Microsoft OEM M.2 NVMe. Buying the Surface with 1TB is about $400 more and I got the drive for $200 new from and eBay vendor and installed it a couple of months ago. I cloned the new 1TB drive from the original before removing it from the system using an M.2 external NVMe drive dock ~ $39 at Amazon.

I keep the original built with all my software drive and also do System images and file backups.

See despite saying we can download Windows free and do an ISO then load it up, each computer has drivers for that computer hardware mix and those can be hard to find.

So by saving the original drives I have a backup of my built system that is out of date, but has all the drivers and system and programs. It can be swapped out immediately for a failed drive, and used until the larger drive is replaced. I would use it to clone to the new drive, then I install the new drive, and then retire the smaller original drive until it is needed again. Then I would restore the latest System image to that now installed new 1TB drive.

I have bought two M.2 NVMe drive enclosures to USB 3.2, an NVMe drive dock. But I never touch the original drives except while installed I will do Windows updates and program updates and the Intel Driver & Support assistant. But I don't load new docs, data or programs to the original drive, it is just a fail safe and can keep me running until I get a replacement drive larger than it is. If I missed any files I worked on in the original drive I save them to my 1TB MY passport external USB HDD, then copy them over to the newly cloned and imaged drive which is then totally up to date.

Cloning is only done from the original drive to a new larger drive. Then all the system windows updates, programs, docs, pics, everything is restored by the latest image. Then I use Windows Disk management to expand the partition.

However, your two backup plan is more than most do and sufficient.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire