Do you have a favorite hitch pin lock?

My son will be towing a Uhaul cargo trailer and we have been looking at hitch locks on Amazon. My old Master lock gets a little WD40 (maybe once a year?) and it is still fine but when I checked the Amazon reviews of the current Master locks, they were not favorable. Same with Rhino and Curt - it seems like most of them, from the reviews, freeze up from rust. And people complain they are made of cheap materials.

Just wondering if anyone has a favorite lock or brand that is still make a quality product.

Thanks for your help!

28 minutes ago, Texas_mom said:

Just wondering if anyone has a favorite lock or brand that is still make a quality product.

You want to lock the trailer to the tow vehicle? I do not do that while towing out of concern of an emergency need to separate them. When stopped for the night I do lock the trailer to the hitch with this Master lock, knowing that locks only make it more difficult for a professional thief but that tends to send them on to an easier target. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you looking for a lock to keep the trailer hitch ball mount from being stolen out of the tow vehicle's receiver? A locking pin such as in the second picture below?

71ZNK54lULS._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg   51PQGDlu4NL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

Or do you want suggestions for a lock to prevent the trailer from being stolen when not attached to the tow vehicle, such as one of these?

61wCM1XvFVL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg     41TtzCX9-bL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

From your picture it isn't clear to me but I am thinking that you mean to keep the hitch from being stolen out of the receiver. If that is what you want, palmeris has suggested what looks like a good one. If you mean the receiver lock, I do use one of the less costly, locking pins like this one, but I have not heard of such thefts being a serious problem. I do not tow with a weight distributing hitch so I don't have a very expensive hitch and I might spend more if I did. For the travel trailer when it is in storage I do keep a moderately priced lock on the trailer tongue to deter it moving but since no lock will stop the determined thief I do not spend enough to get the very best. I hope that something here is helpful.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

I changed to this on my receiver for the F450 as its keyed the same as the truck key. 

It is a bit large but still allows for access to connect the safety chains

Same.  I have both the locking hitch pin and the trailer hitch lock. It is very convenient to have them both keyed to the truck key so I don't need separate keys. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I use this one on the trailer hitch lock.  Paclock at amazon.

Here is another of a different style. I used the one above due to the hole clearance to the end of the lever. Packloc 2nd choice  Supposedly,  Paclock locks are more difficult to pick than others.

Edited by franco-bolli
removed attachments

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png