Pet adoption

DaisyG

We adopted a dog from the Humane Society in Port Angeles, WA with no problems with full-time but that was some time ago. The Humane Society in Tyler, TX asked to inspect the home before they would adopt out a dog to friends of ours and turned them down for lack of a fenced yard. Not all pet adoption organizations are the same and they vary widely from one location to the next.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, DaisyG said:

Has anyone had difficulty adopting as a full timer?

I have adopted and rescued 4 animals as a "Travel Nurse". First two in Florida, volunteered at a local animal shelter and adopted a Cat that had been returned a few times. We got along great. A Kitten happened to show up at my door a few months later and brought in a family of fleas. Not so much fun, but we had many years together. 

Most recently I rescued what I thought was a kitten, but turned out to be a small year old cat. I visited an Humane Society in South East Missouri (also while on a travel contract) and wanted to "Foster" an adult cat to see if my rescue would be less aggressive with her play. Oops, Shelter needed a foster for a Mother Cat and 5 Kittens. I kept them for several weeks and then adopted one of the kittens and we are a happy family. 

I have heard some shelters are more stringent due to the bad apples who don't want the pets as pets, but for other reasons.  Thankfully I have no personal experience with this only some stories that may or may not have been true. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We adopted a dog from the Humane Society in Port Angeles, WA with no problems with full-time but that was some time ago. The Humane Society in Tyler, TX asked to inspect the home before they would adopt out a dog to friends of ours and turned them down for lack of a fenced yard. Not all pet adoption organizations are the same and they vary widely from one location to the next.

I wonder if they would have accepted a large exercise pen? I know plenty of RVers who use those.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van