How do you mount solar panels to travel trailer?

sidpost

How do you mount additional solar panels to a travel trailer assuming you have the 'real estate' on your roof without affecting the weather proofing and durability?

I'm looking to add 5700Whr of LiFeP04 battery storage so, I need more that the 100W or 200W I see on most travel trailers and I would like to avoid needing a generator to top them off regularly.

TIA,

Sid

Looking for my first travel trailer ...

Depending on the roof type there are some choices.  Our 5er has 1/2" plywood under a rubber roof.  By covering the area of the mount with Dicor and then putting the mounting into that and using screws has worked.  I also cover the screws with Dicor self leveling caulk. We have 2,000 watts of solar.   I have used the same method with a roof with thin maybe 1/4" plywood but used mounts that covered a larger area.  And finally I have used this method on a fiberglass roof.  None of these leaked.  On some roofs people have used a bonding agent without using screws.  On some large solar panel installs I have seen rails mounted to carry the panels above all of the roof obstructions. If possible these are often secured to the roof structure.  There are already a number of screw holes in an RV roof and these are sealed and rarely leak. If the panels are removed I have used Eternabond tape to cover the holes.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We built a rack out of square aluminum tubes designed for pool enclosures.   It extended from side to side just a few inches above the roof line.  It was attached on the sides just above the rain gutter and weather sealed with caulking.  We never had a problem with water getting into the rig.

I was able to mount three 120 watt panels which could either lay flat or be tilted.  I could probably have mounted a fourth if I did not intend to tilt the panels. 

We had the fifth wheel for 12 years and it was not until after we downsized that I realized I never took any photos of that mount.  :(

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

37 minutes ago, sahively said:

You could always consider a portable kit too if you don't want to create something permanent.

First, I want charging the LiFeP04 batteries while I travel.  Second, the ~39"x~72" panels I use are not easy to store and are a pain to move.

Thanks!  It sounds like mounting the panels to some Iron Ridge rails attached to a frame may be my best option since I need ~1200W of panels to replenish the batteries on a single Winter day (more TV, lights, etc. and less Sun exposure for time outdoors and charging).

5 hours ago, sidpost said:

Thanks!  It sounds like mounting the panels to some Iron Ridge rails attached to a frame may be my best option since I need ~1200W of panels to replenish the batteries on a single Winter day (more TV, lights, etc. and less Sun exposure for time outdoors and charging).

During the winter we never tilted ours and we had plenty of battery with 300w of solar without running the generator.  We're not energy hogs though... just the basics.  We could last indefinitely boondocking but needed to move to dump and refill the tanks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel