Closed Captions/Subtitles Not Working on Some Streaming Services

I have an Amazon Fire Stick and I've turned on CC system wide (Settings>Accessibility>Closed Caption>On).

The above works across most of the streaming services I'm subscribed to.  An exception is Peacock.  When trying to watch a movie, I cannot get CC on.

Here's what I've tried:

When the video is running, press down on the Navigation ring then use the Navigation ring to scroll left to the CC icon and click on it.  That does bring up a Subtitles box which I *should* be able to turn ON.  It's currently set to OFF and I cannot figure out how to change it to ON.  Pressing the SELECT button just takes me back to the video without changing it to ON.  And pressing UP, LEFT or RIGHT on the Navigation ring just takes me to the other boxes where I can change languages.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get CC turned on?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Some CC services are turned on through the Options key rather than the approach you described.  At least that's what I have found to be the case with my Roku.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 minute ago, docj said:

Some CC services are turned on through the Options key rather than the approach you described.  At least that's what I have found to be the case with my Roku.

There is no options key on my Fire Stick remote.  

Some instructions I've read when googling the problem say to use the Menu key while the video is playing, but that doesn't do anything.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda,

I had similar problem with my Discovery+.  Closed captions were on and I couldn't figure out how to turn them OFF!  Google searches said to (1) start watching your video then (2) press the menu (three little bar button) and the closed caption menu would come up.  DID NOT work.

Today some additional googling said to (1) start watching your video, (2) press pause, (3) a little cloud thing comes up in the upper right corner, (4) press the upper portion of the outer ring and the little cloud will turn red, (5) press the select button and then (6) navigate to the choice you want.  I think I got that right.

Good luck!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

1 minute ago, lenp said:

Linda,

I had similar problem with my Discovery+.  Closed captions were on and I couldn't figure out how to turn them OFF!  Google searches said to (1) start watching your video then (2) press the menu (three little bar button) and the closed caption menu would come up.  DID NOT work.

Yes, I've found that this didn't work either  -- nothing shows up when the menu button is pressed.

3 minutes ago, lenp said:

Today some additional googling said to (1) start watching your video, (2) press pause, (3) a little cloud thing comes up in the upper right corner, (4) press the upper portion of the outer ring and the little cloud will turn red, (5) press the select button and then (6) navigate to the choice you want.  I think I got that right.

Haven't tried that!  I'll give it a try tomorrow morning (we're watching the Olympics right now).  I'll report back.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

11 hours ago, lenp said:

Just tried this, but it doesn't work -- there is nothing that comes up on the screen except for the stuff at the bottom of the screen which I described in my first post.  I can see where I *should* be able to toggle Subtitles on or off -- it's currently set to off -- but I can't figure out how to make it change from off to on.  Highlighting it and then pressing Select just takes me back to the video but doesn't change the box from off to on.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

UPDATE:  I messaged Peacock on Facebook and after several back and forths, we got the subtitles to work!

What worked was once a video is playing, press down on the Navigation ring, then left to the subtitle box.  Click the box, scroll up to the language box and press the Select button.  Voila! Subtitles are on!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul