Satellite Internet without TV package

Greetings to all who read this,

I am wondering if anyone knows of any satellite service that provides internet access without requiring a TV service package as well?  I don't care about watching TV, but I would like more reliable internet access while in areas of poor cell phone coverage.  We are presently using Verizon with hot spots from our phones and a Jet Pack.

Thanks for your interest.

Welcome to the forum, and here you go for RV satellite Internet. Bring the big checkbook... :)

https://www.mobilsat.com/hughesnet-internet-for-rvs/

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We have Hughesnet at our mountain property because that is or was all that was available.  It is sloooow and expensive.  The data is limited by the plan you choose.  More data equals more cost.  The equipment for a mobile setup also isn't cheap or simple to use. I will get off my soapbox now.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

You're speaking our language. We've been satellite internet users for 15 years. We do not use it for TV, strictly internet access. Yes it's expensive and relatively technical in nature when you need to troubleshoot issues. But it's allowed us to live and work on the road in some really off-the-beaten-path destinations.

Cell services are better than ever so today it's more of a backup system for us, like when we traveled to Alaska and the Yukon. We will likely rely on it heavily this summer when we return. If you have any questions feel free to ask or message me.

Edited by LiveWorkDream
spelling

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Some satellite Internet background . . .

The Blue LED Years, Ku- and Ka-band Sats, EIRP or Dish Size Matters

KA-BAND SAT SYSTEMS (HUGHESNET GEN 5)

I bought a portable HughesNet Gen5 system in 2020 for about $1500 (.98m dish, tripod, modem, tools, DAPT aiming device). HughesNet Gen 5 data plans range from $40 (2 GB/mon) to $2000 (1 TB/mon). Note: These are Business HughesNet plans, not Residential plans. BTW, Residential HughesNet Gen 5 uses a much smaller .74m dish.

I think I used the 50 GB ($120/mon) data plan, but you can change it up or down every month if you want. Also, you can purchase extra GBs for $3 per GB.

My download speed range was between 5 to 20 Mbps, and averaged about 11 Mbps on an extended test. However, I had no problem streaming video and my HughesNet Gen 5 dish always got a signal.

HughesNet Gen 5 uses the Ka-band (or "spot beams") and is only available in the continental US. We tried using it in Banff National Park (a few hundred miles into Canada), but no dice.

Also, you commit to a 2-year contract. Plus, setting up a .98m (39.5") fiberglass dish can be daunting. However, there is a smaller .90m (35") lighter dish you can use and aiming it was easier than aiming a DISH TV portable because you're just trying to lock in 1 sat.

Finally, there are now automatic HughesNet Gen 5 dishes -- Montana Satellite Supply and Don Marr's website.

For a portable HughesNet Gen 5 system, try Houston Media Systems.

If you need sat service for Alaska and/or Mexico, then go with a Ku-band sat system.

KU-BAND SAT SYSTEMS (iDirect)

If you absolutely must have sat service in Canada and/or Mexico, then this is your guy.

Otherwise, IMHO buying a Ku-band sat system with an iDirect data plan is nuts. They are REALLY slow and REALLY REALLY expensive.

Compare iDirect Data Plans to HughesNet Gen 5 Data Plans -- also check the iDirect speeds and dish sizes required.

Finally, it seems the latest trend in sat systems is to hide prices and make you call so they can "qualify" you.

Try Montana Satellite instead.

Edited by Zulu
spelling

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 1 month later...