Drum roll/knocking sound/drive shaft

Rotorhead

Hello All,

This is a repeat sorry. Just wanted to share what I found.

I had been suspecting the bearing carrier but haven’t gotten to actually looking at it until the other day. It is shot. The rubber is torn between most of the gaps. I called to get it replaced but they can’t get me in for three weeks, maybe. They said they are swamped.

So I got the bright idea to use tire plugs in the gaps for the carrier. I squeezed them in as evenly as I could all the way around. I am hoping this will make it a little smoother and quieter until I can get it replaced. 
I will find out tonight on the way to work.

what do you guys think of my temporary repair idea?

Chuck

Edited by Rotorhead

• Rotorhead changed the title to Drum roll/knocking sound/drive shaft

Stupid idea, unless it works.  Then it's brilliant.

Carrier bearing is an easy job.  Get a mechanical friend to help you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

I got the driveshaft off, u-joint off and then the dang yoke nut wouldn’t budge. I was able to take the shaft and parts to a shop and they got the old stuff off and new stuff on in 30 minutes. Saved me a lot of work. They had to get the nut and center bearing red hot to get them off.

one step closer to a smoother running truck.

• 2 months later...

Well after six months or more of wondering about this noise I took my rig in for an overhead set at a Cummins service center. They said one of the injector adjusting screws was broke and had to order one. He said that the cylinder was pretty much dead as a result.
I’ll find out tomorrow if the problem is fixed when I pick it up.

15 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Well after six months or more of wondering about this noise I took my rig in for an overhead set at a Cummins service center. They said one of the injector adjusting screws was broke and had to order one. He said that the cylinder was pretty much dead as a result.
I’ll find out tomorrow if the problem is fixed when I pick it up.

It never ends does it. I feel like I'm in the middle of a full restoration project with mine. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, jenandjon said:

It never ends does it. I feel like I'm in the middle of a full restoration project with mine. 

Your right about that. I had it at the Cummins Service Center for an overhead set and check my jake rockers.  Those were good but one of the injector rockers was bad. They had it for a week due to being shorthanded. After I got i back I was checking the jake and the mid (4 cyl) and hi (6 cyl) were not working and I got a CHECK light. I called and told them about it and have to take it back on Monday so they can see if there is a wire disconnected or something. It does run a lot better though. Still a little rough but for 892k plus I think it won't get much better with out dumping a lot of dollars. Which I don't have so it will be fine by me.

The electrical connector for the jake that is on the left side of the head was soaked with oil. I cleaned that out with some contact cleaner and dried it. I will see if that made any difference.

• 3 weeks later...