Windows 10 upgrade, refreshed

Ray,IN

I Learned something new today about my old windows 8 computer, which I had upgraded to windows 10. Yesterday I decided to refresh my windows 10 installation, and did. Then there was no sound. The W10 troubleshooting pop-up said "do audio device found". I spent approx. 10 hrs, trying to restore sound to no avail. Today I typed in my make and model computer, which took me the HP website. I allowed HP to scan my computer for installed and missing drivers, followed the instructions to download and install the windows 8 audio driver, which was the only choice BTW. I restarted my machine and instantly had sound restored to my speaker system.

The newest Windows 10 audio driver is not compatible with the old windows 8 sound card apparently.

My machine is not compatible with W11, says my settings app. It's only 8 years old???

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Ray,IN changed the title to Windows 10 upgrade, refreshed
1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

That's OK, I have a W10 laptop that is only 1 year old and is not W11 compatible.

Did you read the section about enabling a specific file within W10 that is required to pass the W11 test?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Did you read the section about enabling a specific file within W10 that is required to pass the W11 test?

Yes, and it failed based on my processor type (AMD Ryzen). However I just ran the check again this morning and it passed. Guess it just took people complaining so that Microsoft would fix it. Still not sure I am interested in upgrading.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

If you upgrade to W11 then change your mind, you only have 8 days left to revert back to W10.

Edited by Ray,IN