Volta and Grand Design partner for a 5er with an 18kwh battery

Chad Heiser

Here is the full article.  

The first paragraph states:

Volta Power Systems and Grand Design Partner have teamed up to create this stunning towable recreational vehicle, which will make its public debut at the SEMA show later this week. The so-called Adventure Without Limits demonstrational RV will be displayed in Los Angeles with an 18-kWh energy storage system, which can run air conditioning, white goods, entertainment, and others without a connection between the motorhome and the electrical grid.

It is intriguing and having that much battery capacity would be great.  I wish they went into more detail on the other equipment that came along with the battery bank though.  In my mind that is just as important.  The article is focused on Volta and their battery systems, so I understand why they don’t talk about the other equipment in detail.  As a consumer and installer, I am intrigued though.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It's been done before. 

Tampa RV Show, not sure what year. Not a hot day, but the Mini Split was running for sure inside the RV and of course the entry door hardly ever closed. 

The Manufacturer had the power cord unplugged and hanging near a window. 

There were some other "Unique" items on display too. Anyone remember another? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We have 2,000 watts of solar and that ran our mini split, residential refrigerator and our appliances all summer. I ran the generator about 1 hour on 1 day.  The hotwater was on propane.  We have about 10kw of lithium batteries.  Not quite as good as the volta equipped rig but a lot less expensive.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I know it can be done a lot cheaper (since I do it) than what an OEM will charge.  Also most OEM’s don’t have a clue when it comes to solar and inverters (and dealers are even worse).  I’m just glad an OEM is at least thinking about doing something like this and then went to a company that should know what they are doing to get it done right.  

I don’t know much about Volta and their equipment.  It would be nice if an OEM would partner with a company that most people in the off grid world are familiar with and actually really want, like Victron.  I just spent the day recently with Victron reps and their rolling “display” toy hauler.  It had a very nice, large system running the whole trailer and then a several smaller systems mounted on walls and rolling racks in the garage for demonstrational purposes.  It is amazing what can be done when someone who knows what they are doing uses quality equipment to accomplish it.

But then again if everyone had systems like this in their RV’s, a lot of all our favorite boondocking sites would get very crowded.  😜

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

On 11/6/2021 at 2:19 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I know it can be done a lot cheaper (since I do it) than what an OEM will charge.  Also most OEM’s don’t have a clue when it comes to solar and inverters (and dealers are even worse).  I’m just glad an OEM is at least thinking about doing something like this and then went to a company that should know what they are doing to get it done right.  

I don’t know much about Volta and their equipment.  It would be nice if an OEM would partner with a company that most people in the off grid world are familiar with and actually really want, like Victron.  I just spent the day recently with Victron reps and their rolling “display” toy hauler.  It had a very nice, large system running the whole trailer and then a several smaller systems mounted on walls and rolling racks in the garage for demonstrational purposes.  It is amazing what can be done when someone who knows what they are doing uses quality equipment to accomplish it.

But then again if everyone had systems like this in their RV’s, a lot of all our favorite boondocking sites would get very crowded.  😜

Hi Chad, very interesting to see that this energy source has finally been taken notice of by Grand Design. Did you happen to get any pictures of the inside equipment on the toy hauler? I would like to think if this venture pans out that more solar suppliers would become competitive with lower price points.  Please keep us all in the loop on this. I'm still learning about all of this, thanks to you.

Ben

13 hours ago, chief916 said:

Hi Chad, very interesting to see that this energy source has finally been taken notice of by Grand Design. Did you happen to get any pictures of the inside equipment on the toy hauler? I would like to think if this venture pans out that more solar suppliers would become competitive with lower price points.  Please keep us all in the loop on this. I'm still learning about all of this, thanks to you.

Ben

Ben,

I didn’t get to see the Volta/Grand Design trailer.  I just saw the article.  I also would like to see more about the equipment they actually used.  

I did see the Victron demo trailer and went over it in pretty good detail.  I didn’t take any pictures of it though.  I install a lot of Victron products and have lots of pictures of their stuff so I didn’t see the need to take pictures of their install.  If you want to check out pictures of installs, you can check out my website in my signature.

event.png    

11 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Ben,

I didn’t get to see the Volta/Grand Design trailer.  I just saw the article.  I also would like to see more about the equipment they actually used.  

I did see the Victron demo trailer and went over it in pretty good detail.  I didn’t take any pictures of it though.  I install a lot of Victron products and have lots of pictures of their stuff so I didn’t see the need to take pictures of their install.  If you want to check out pictures of installs, you can check out my website in my signature.

I sure will go to your sight. I like the victron you recommended.

Thank you.