What do full-timers do when their RV is in the shop?

It has been almost two years since the original post on this thread, but it is still interesting to see that, really, there are very few times when we full-timers have to leave our rigs for any length of time due to repair needs. Yes, it happens, but it isn't common.

The original concern was what to do when it is a sudden need. That, of course, depends on your circumstances (where you are, pets, mobility issues, etc.) and one person's situation will be different than someone else's. You just have to deal with what is there.

The second original concern was the lack of a speedy response from the repair shop. That's a bigger issue. Sometimes we are stuck with a shop that has a less than stellar reputation, but often we are able to do a bit of searching and find a better choice. Some shops will go out of their way to help someone who is stranded, even to the point of asking a local customer to wait a bit while they concentrate on the stranger with the emergency. When we find those places, we need to thank them publicly.

Several years ago we had a problem with the windshield on our Foretravel. We did some searching, and made an appointment online with a noted company. When we arrived, they said they didn't work on motorhomes. They then proceeded to give us a really good temporary fix - and then wouldn't take any money! We sent the shop a Wal-Mart gift card and suggested they might enjoy some treats on us.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

5 hours ago, kb0zke said:

It has been almost two years since the original post on this thread, but it is still interesting to see that, really, there are very few times when we full-timers have to leave our rigs for any length of time due to repair needs. Yes, it happens, but it isn't common.

Thanks for your thoughts!  Being stranded can have a good outcome.  I think it helps if you realize that usually, everyone tries to get you back on the road fast.  There are some good people out there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 9 months later...

We were hut by a tornado last year in our 35 ft gasser. Roof damage and a 1 foot hole punched in the side wall. Had to wait 6 weeks to get appt. for repairs in Elkhart....thank God for eternabond! Est. repairs would take 6-8 weeks. Call every family,friend acquaintance that we could think of and bounced around Ohio and KY for 7 weeks. Only spent 5 nights in hotel. Only stayed 2-3 days each place and always bought groceries for me and I cook a nice meal as payment. We did get lucky with an uncle who was going to be on a cruise so stayed in their house 7 days. Can be done in cheap!!

Before my Mother passed away, I never had to worry about a place to stay. Since then my younger brother took no time to sell the house and close out the estate as executor. I stayed with him once since then and will not again. 

Last Friday my Amok Hammock was delivered and yesterday waiting on "Totality" I was able to get it set up before it got dark for 4 minutes. Was able to take a nap while I thought I waited long enough for the traffic to sort itself out, but sadly was wrong. Traffic was still a mess for 3 hours and that's how long it took me to get to the destination. Six hours to get back home. 

At least I know I can sleep off of the ground as long as there are large(but not too large)enough trees around. 

Rod

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

51 minutes ago, lappir said:

At least I know I can sleep off of the ground as long as there are large(but not too large)enough trees around. 

Did you get the tarp for bad weather?

Edited by Kirk W
typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI