Question for the Electrical Gurus, Dometic Awning

The Dometic awning (a model 9200 I believe) will power out but not in even when connected directly to a 12 volt source. The switch has four wires. When a volt meter is connected to the two wire pigtail feeding the motor it reads 13.4 volts (trailer plugged into 120 AC) or -13.4 volts when the in or out direction of the switch is activated. Reversing the leads of the volt meter produces the same results but with reversed readings for the appropriate switch setting. This test was repeated numerous times always with the same results. When tested hot to ground (RV frame) both in and out test 13.4 volts. Here is my problem, a new motor works in both directions when connected directly to a 12 volt source, but will only work in the out direction when connected to the power wires from the in/out switch. Any ideas, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, bobsallyh said:

I never had a problem YET with the 9200. But mine has two in/out switches. One on the control box in bay storage area and another inside the fiver. Might be worth checking for a second switch.

You are lucky. Apparently, there have been so many problems with the 9200 that Dometic discontinued it and replacement parts are difficult or impossible to get. I have not found a second switch and am not sure what you are referring to as a "control box". The wires that feed the switch seem to run from the fuse panel to the switch and from the switch to the motor.

The old motor will only run in one direction even when connected directly to a 12v source so it is bad. A new motor ran in both directions connected to a 12v source, but only in the out direction when connected to the switch. The pigtail running to the motor tested 13.4v with opposite polarity when the switch was pressed in or out.

15 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

The control box is in the storage bay and has one of the in/out switches on it. The box also contains a switch to turn on or off the wind sensor. 

Thanks for the explanation! My unit does not have a remote or wind or rain sensors, therefore no control box just one in/out switch.