Introduction and truck camper full timing question.

Telcobilly

Hi everyone, Will here. Just want to say hi, fill you in on my situation and ask a few questions. I just retired from OTR trucking (mostly on the West coast) and moved back to the Conroe/Spring area of Texas to be closer to my kids/grandkids. I have been renting a real nice garage apt for a few weeks, but will have to move out 8/25. I have a 2008 Tacoma with a fiberglass slide in shell https://www.angelfire.com/tx/nale/durashell.html    which has been repurposed into a camper. It's pretty much ready to go with: a fridge, microwave, a/c in the back, twin memory foam mattress, solar & Honda generators, (solar panel to be ordered soon) water container ect.

I have the funds to buy a trailer so I can be more comfortable. I want to stay in this area and stay at a campground or on land, but I'm finding out that campgrounds or "resorts" have definite ideas about what is allowed and my rig doesn't fit that criteria. I'm willing to do the following: stay in a campground, buy a small unrestricted lot, dry camp on someone's land. I'm finding that the state parks are low on availability for long term. I plan to divide my time here in the US and in the Philippines where I have a house & wife.

Any suggestions how I can solve this campground problem or am I overthinking it? I really don't want to stay in a stranger's house, or with family (don't want to be THAT guy, lol) or get tied up in an apt rental.

Thanks! Will

Edited by Telcobilly

Welcome!  State parks have a 2-week limit but you could move to another in the area after the 2 weeks.  Same with the Corp of Engineer campgrounds. Alternate between the two.  That would probably be your best bet unless you could find a 'plain Jane' RV park that doesn't have restrictions on what kind of RV you have.  They're out there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so feel free to ask or give advice as often as you wish. 

First let me say that your home build is really interesting and unique in my experience. I have seen a lot of home built RVs over the years and even helped to build a couple, but none that are quite like yours. The closest would be an Escapee who lives in an older van that he converter and who, like you, lives alone and quite contented with minimal equipment. I couldn't live comfortably as you do, but I still admire your handiwork and lifestyle.

If you are past the age of 62, I strongly suggest that you get yourself an America the Beautiful, Senior Card for our federal parks as that will give you access to the Corps of Engineers parks for half price, and TX has a lot of them to choose from. It costs only $80 and is good for life. It also gets you into the National Parks and most other federal parks for free. 

If you expect to be doing this for a long time, you might be well served to consider joining the Escapee RV Club as they can provide you with a lot of services (mail service, legal address, etc.) and their home park is just outside of Livingston, so not that far away and your RV would be acceptable there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi Will, Welcome to the Escapees Forums!

I agree with 2gyp.

I would add that if you got a nice small trailer, I prefer fifth wheel, you would not have to break camp to go to the grocery store or to fill tanks or see the kids. And like I did you can renovate the used trailer inside and out. It sounds like you have the skills.

Before we went full time we were stationed at Lackland AFB and Texans. We went full time at my age 45 right out of the USAF on retirement. Then we set up an RV full hookup site at family property in North Bossier City. We stayed there winters only and traveled the rest of the year. We all knew it would be left to us so it was not other family property.

When we were there year round we would not see the kids and grandkids for months at a time. When we were there only two or three months we saw them a lot more and loved it. So moving around may surprise you with how much more you see them when you are there.

I say this because you can be in and out of the immediate local area and have fun seeing other areas and still be back there every month or two or when asked for a family event.

You'll figure out what works best for you. Use your camper alone for a while and then decide.

Keep us posted.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

To me, your plan sounds very difficult to achieve.
I suspect that others have attempt your plan and find themselves in homeless encampments.

Campgrounds are very full nowadays.  
And free spaces are being used more often as the crowded RV boom continues to grow.

I agree with the trailer idea.
And I wish you well with finding a spot.
I've found that there are often covenants against RV parking when looking at land.
And you don't want to be too far away from urban amenities (I assume).

There's a small chance that your plan might work handsomely as a caretaker.
Take a look at caretaker.org for a few ideas.  Maybe the right fit might come along.
Try a google search for "caretaker jobs" for additional ideas.  

Best of luck in your endeavor - it sounds like an adventure.  

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich