Drum roll type noise from engine area while driving

Rotorhead

Hello All,

I have this noise that sounds kind of like a rapid deep drum roll when driving. It is fairly loud between 35-45 mph then it will get a little quieter the faster you go. Until you mash the pedal to climb a hill or something like that.  The steering wheel is not centered and is off to the right a bit (few inches).

Could an out of alignment issue cause that type of noise? How about a loose wheel bearing? The oil level for the spindles is good.

I need to get in there and take a good look at the exhaust still. Someone had mentioned it could be a possible exhaust leak.

I can also jack the front end up and check the spindles for play and tighten as required??

Thanks for all your help.

Chuck

Sounds like a loose heat shield.  Maybe a fancy chrome muffler cover that wasn't fastened properly?

You didn't mention any vibration, so I'd guess it's not suspension related.  But, I've been wrong before, and will be again.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Not sure what engine you have but check the fan clutch. Bearings might be going. Over the years of trucking and Motorcoach ownership have had several sound like that, and it was the fan clutch.

You will have to have the truck aired up, key on, engine off and give it a spin. Should be smooth through full rotation, but probably won't free spin very far. If this is the problem you will want to get it fixed ASAP, if the bearings fail completely the fan will contact the radiator...

I checked the fan right after I got home. It was smooth and spun freely several times. I didn’t spin too hard but I think it would have went quite a few revolutions had I. 
I did grab the tip of a blade and tried to wiggle it front to rear and it did have a very slight play. 
then I went over and under the engine looking for anything out of place and grabbing, tapping and checking clamps etc… nothing I could reach was loose. ??

I am getting a three axle alignment and state inspection tomorrow so I’ll ask what they think about the noise.