Parker Racor R90P filter

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know if your truck has a Parker Racor R90P fuel filter water separator on it ? If so, any problems ? What should I look for when it comes to problems ? Any other thoughts to pass along ?

Open to all input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

20 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

It's a paper filter. What kind of problems are you expecting?

I'm not sure. Just want to know if there is any problems with this style of filter. Just trying to be prepared. It looks like the boating industry uses this style of filter for their diesel engines.

I'd expect the boat crowd to have more issues with water in their fuel than the RV crowd. We check the tanks yearly, unless fuel issues pop up.

ETA: Are you having fuel issues? Have you checked the bottom of your tanks?

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I'd expect the boat crowd to have more issues with water in their fuel than the RV crowd. We check the tanks yearly, unless fuel issues pop up.

ETA: Are you having fuel issues? Have you checked the bottom of your tanks?

The truck is not having any fuel issues. I can look down into the fuel tanks and see the bottom of the tanks. I always try to treat the fuel in the truck. One of the reason for the questions is because most people that I know that has a semi have a webasto fuel filter.

Edited by alan0043

Gotcha. There's multiple different ways to filter fuel on an old highway truck. Most are effective, or they wouldn't be still sold. The Davco (not Webasto) filter you see mentioned here so often is one type. It's a combination filter, with particulate and water being separated. Combination filters are also available in the spin on cartridge format, as seen on all the Big 3's HD pickups. The filter you asked about is strictly for water separation, but it will filter out larger insects and even small trees. Seriously, it's a 30 micron media, which is rather large, compared to a typical fuel filter. A FS1000, recommended by Cummins for our N14, is rated at 10 micron. Filters for newer engines are even finer. The newer injection systems require cleaner fuel.  Having said that, N14's are notorious for injector issues, and I can't help but wonder if finer filters would have helped.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I can tell you that post 2010 John Deeres use a 2 micron as the final filter.  A set for a combine is over $100 for the 10 micron pre and 2 micron final.  Water separator is another housing upstream.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I must have had some kind of brain fart when it came to saying webasto. 😄 I should have known it was a Davco.

Al