Volvo hood gas springs, first attempt.

Parrformance

Ordered a pair of replacement gas struts for the Volvo hood this morning.

I ordered a relatively light force set,(56lbs) as I don't want to climb on the cowl to shut the hood.

The force needed to open and close the hood is relatively light, because both of my original struts have failed completely.

I found a site that offers a search using dimensions of the strut, and free express shipping over $29.

I will share the part number if the struts work to my satisfaction.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/?cmp_id=1630518389&adg_id=61725191963&kwd=lift supports depot&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjYf169pAlApvns141Eg0In-BxLVWTT8mCJ2PKmSBmfm9iAVp9mpfb0aAo2VEALw_wcB 

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

SUCCESS, the struts I ordered part#PM3807M13-W from Lift Supports Depot, work well.

I chose the light pressure of 56lbs as I knew it did not take much force to open the hood, and I did not want to overcame the strength of the struts to shut the hood.

A light touch starts the hood to open, and a nudge will get it to close.

The hood opens smooth and steady.

the Ball Stud ends on the new struts have a more secure clip that is removable.

Removing the clip and setting aside is part of the very well written install instructions.

Install is straight forward, I did use a large pair of channel lock style pliers to seat The sockets on the original Volvo balls.

The clips can then be slid in place and securely fastened at the neck of the ball socket.

The price of each was $16.00 plus tax.

The sight offers free express shipping over $29.00. For my order that turned out to be FedEx 2nd day. I had the struts at my house 48 hours after placing the order, excellent service in my book.

Total was just over $34 after taxes.

Jackalopee

Jackalopee

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered 2 PM3807M13-W struts for $32.00.  They accept both PayPal and Amazon Pay as well.  I prefer that payment rather than giving out my CC.  Much better than $100+ from Volvo.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

17 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Hi Parr,

Thank you for sharing. Great info to have. A few years ago, I got gas struts for my Smart car hatch from the same folks.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "