Water, clean vs potable

Nwcid

7 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

My fresh tanks are mounted behind my toolboxes at the very rear of the truck, one on each side of the frame they are 18 gallon each if I remember correctly. I have a 40 gallon black tank mounted on the passenger side under the frame beside the drive shaft this would not work if you have fuel tanks on that side. I have not needed to get a blader tank yet but I thought I would make a 2x10 collapsible frame when and if I need one.

I have no room for under tanks, everything has to go on top.  

I have an APU on the passenger side between my fuel tank and axle and a 60 gallon wast tank in the same location on the drivers side.  

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

3 hours ago, Nwcid said:

Ok.  I looked at a wide variety of tanks.  One option was to find one that mounted under where I plan on putting my tool box and do similar to what you are discussing.  That can be done as a future upgrade if we use it enough.  By the time I get tanks and have fab work done I will easily be over $500 and likely close to $1000.  Not money well spent until I know we will use it often.  

I assume you were discussing how you secure your fixed tanks.  Any comment about securing the bladder?

When we might need more than the 100 gallon supplement we carry a couple of 50 gallon plastic barrels.  I don't remember where I picked them up but these are used food grade for about $20 each.  There are areas on our bed to strap them down.  A RV pump with a length of pex attached to the inlet will pump the water out.  For tanks an RV junk yard may have what you need for less.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

You said your planning your truck, have you considered adding a longer bed and putting the tank and some toolboxes behind the rear axle? You didn't give any description of the truck you are building, its probably in a seperate post that I missed, but someone said it's a HDT. Most folks put there hitch behind the the axle and down in the frame this usaly gives atleast a couple of feet of space for a tank, perhaps going across the truck under the frame. Nothing says that the hitch needs to be at the end of the bed. Are you planning to fill the tank at home or close to your destination?  That might make a difference in design, there's a big difference between carying 1500 pounds of water 500 miles and 10. 

4 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

You said your planning your truck, have you considered adding a longer bed and putting the tank and some toolboxes behind the rear axle? You didn't give any description of the truck you are building, its probably in a seperate post that I missed, but someone said it's a HDT. Most folks put there hitch behind the the axle and down in the frame this usaly gives atleast a couple of feet of space for a tank, perhaps going across the truck under the frame. Nothing says that the hitch needs to be at the end of the bed. Are you planning to fill the tank at home or close to your destination?  That might make a difference in design, there's a big difference between carying 1500 pounds of water 500 miles and 10. 

I already have a long wheelbase @ 265" with a 15' deck so I am not considering extending.  This easily allowed me to have an APU and waste tank on opposite sides between the fuel tanks and front tandem axle.  If the truck did not have an APU I would have likely just hung a 60 gallon tank in that location and called it good. 

Even with a large tool box and my SxS on the deck, I still have at least 6' of free space. That is why I was planning on using this space.  It is an inexpensive way to test.  

As for filling, it depends on the trip and the need.  If we are semi-mock-docking like we do at one of our remote properties there is water onsite so no filling at all.  Other trips were we know we are boondocking or we are only headed out with a general plan I will fill it at home.  Then as we go from location to location fill in the same type of locations that we have dumped/filled in the past.  If I use an IBC, they are designed and made to carry fluid over great distances.  The extra weight might even be helpful as I can get almost to 1/2 of my rated rear end capacity. 

I know several people who use 1 or 2 of them or the 500 gallon tanks made for pickups in there, I will call them 3/4 ton 😉, pickups for hauling maple sap with no issues.  I have a 11 foot deck on a 630 VNM singled short and it would look funny but I sometimes think I should have made it 12 or 13 feet I am thinking of making a swinging spair tire rack on the back or mount a job box to the receiver hitch.

13 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

I know several people who use 1 or 2 of them or the 500 gallon tanks made for pickups in there, I will call them 3/4 ton 😉, pickups for hauling maple sap with no issues.  I have a 11 foot deck on a 630 VNM singled short and it would look funny but I sometimes think I should have made it 12 or 13 feet I am thinking of making a swinging spair tire rack on the back or mount a job box to the receiver hitch.

Sounds awesome.  

I am hoping to have some more pics soon.  Right now it is basically a stock truck so not much to show.  I am picking up a Knaack 90 tool box tomorrow that will be mounted behind the cab, on the deck.  Then the plan is to mount the the RZR "smart car" style next, then that 6 foot gap and I am currently budgeting 4' for space for the trailer to turn. 

I tried to upload a photo 3 different ways with no luck.