Disconnect starting and house battery

I have few questions regarding which battery to disconnect in the following scenarios:

1- I am replacing the starting battery on my Ford F-53, should I just shut off / disconnect the starting battery? Or disconnect house batteries too ?

2-I want to spray battery terminal rust protector on both chassis and house batteries, should I disconnect both in the this case ?

3- I want to start the RV (while in place without moving it) , should I disconnect the house batteries ? or just turn off the RV Park electric box ?

Thank you

47 minutes ago, Sir Traveller said:

1- I am replacing the starting battery on my Ford F-53, should I just shut off / disconnect the starting battery? Or disconnect house batteries too ?

To replace the chassis battery, just turn off the ignition and there is no connection between the chassis battery and the coach batteries. Remove the negative cable first with any wet cell battery anytime that wish to disconnect the battery, then remove the positive connection. This is done for safety reasons. When you put the new battery in, connect the positive first then connect the negative cable.

2-I want to spray battery terminal rust protector on both chassis and house batteries, should I disconnect both in the this case ?

If you are using battery corrosion inhibitor, first follow the directions on the container. With most such products there is no need to disconnect anything. I use a product from CRC and this links to a video of instructions in it's use. 

3- I want to start the RV (while in place without moving it) , should I disconnect the house batteries ? or just turn off the RV Park electric box ?

A lot depends on what it is that you plan to do. If you will not be driving anywhere then you really don't need to unhook your shore power and there is no reason to disconnect the house batteries either. That said, Ford recommends that when an RV on their chassis is in use and not being driven that you not start it unless you plan to drive it for at least long enough to get everything up to operating temperatures. If you are preparing to travel and it will only be a day or two before you leave, then it isn't a bad idea to start everything as a test run but do not start it just to leave it sitting and not driven.

A Ford representative told me that the worst thing most people do with their engines is to do a "dry start" which they define and after all oil has drained from the bearings which he considered to be two weeks or longer. He further said that the second worst thing done is to start the engine and then just sit and allow it to idle until warm and then turn it off. That will draw moist air into the engine which will then cool and condense moisture into the oil and eventually cause excess wear to bearings and eventual damage to the engine. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

If you are using battery corrosion inhibitor, first follow the directions on the container. With most such products there is no need to disconnect anything. I use a product from CRC and this links to a video of instructions in it's use. 

I'd pull them apart and clean the mating surfaces, first. No point sealing in poor connections.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

18 hours ago, Sir Traveller said:

Good questions Sir, here's my take:

1) If your house and engine batteries are NOT connected, as typical unless an emergency tie/jump switch or some other charging arrangement ties them together temporarily, there's no need to disconnect the house battery to change the starting battery. However, there's no harm in doing so if you so choose using the safe orderly method for removing and re attaching cables.

2) If I wanted to use spray on battery terminal protectant, I would FIRST remove and thoroughly clean and wire brush the battery posts as well as the connection terminals,,,,,,,,SECOND re attach them,,,,,,,THIRD once back in place only then use the spray on protectant. I would NOT spray the posts or terminals first and then attach them.......They are normally typically NOT tied together absent some sort of charging arrangement or an emergency tie/jumper switch depressed, but no harm in disconnecting BOTH first, then clean, then re attach, then spray. NOTE if using standard top post batteries, if I use BOTH the felt protective washers underneath, then attach the cables, then use protective spray Ive never had them corrode.....

3) Typically and subject to how things are wired, there's no need to disconnect the house batteries OR unplug from shore power to start the RV using its good charged starting battery. Unless there's a connection from house to starting battery they are independent and unconnected.

As far as any long term storage suggestions, that's a different thread should you ask   

John T  Live in the RV from High Springs Florida