Oil Analysis - Is this fine?

aknavy

Flirting with buying a truck, and got an initial oil analysis on it from the owner.  I have been looking at this truck for a while, and I have another sample from a couple months ago to send in for analysis as well - would have had them both done at the same time, but good old USPS lost one package for a month.  Anyway, is there any concern here?

0dJErjYl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

4 minutes ago, aknavy said:

Flirting with buying a truck, and got an initial oil analysis on it from the owner.  I have been looking at this truck for a while, and I have another sample from a couple months ago to send in for analysis as well - would have had them both done at the same time, but good old USPS lost one package for a month.  Anyway, is there any concern here?

0dJErjYl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

I’m no expert but comments say no abnormal findings.  Looks fine to me.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Depending where you are getting your analysis done they should be able to give you some color commentary as to how this sample compares to other similar engines of the same type.  Example: this ISM is better/worse in this categories then other ISM's with the same mileage type of deal.  

A one off sample without any other samples to compare against is basically only good for seeing if their are any glaring issues (coolant in oil / super high copper (bearing failure) / etc).  With the context of larger sample size you can get the color commentary.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

4 hours ago, steiny93 said:

Depending where you are getting your analysis done they should be able to give you some color commentary as to how this sample compares to other similar engines of the same type.  Example: this ISM is better/worse in this categories then other ISM's with the same mileage type of deal.  

A one off sample without any other samples to compare against is basically only good for seeing if their are any glaring issues (coolant in oil / super high copper (bearing failure) / etc).  With the context of larger sample size you can get the color commentary.

Thanks for the insight.  I'll compare the two samples, they were taken a few thousand miles and a trip to pick up a boat apart. 

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

Looks normal. I use blackstone labs.  Their readouts show: 1) comparison to your last analysis, 2) Normal readings for your engine. 3) They also give you a TBN #, which basically tells you if you can run your oil longer.  I was upping my oil changes to 10-12,000 miles on my dodge ram when this sample was taken.  It had high lead and aluminum.  Blackstone though it was a particle that scraped through the bearing (releasing lead/aluminum).  Next reading lead/aluminum were back to normal.  Ran a sample from the new to me Freighliner DD15 and they said I found a good one.  Hope this helps.

OilReports.pdf

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

On 12/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, CrazyCooter said:

How many miles and time?

Looks almost new/low hours, but a cheaper off the shelf conventional judging by the lack of contamination and lower TBN?

It was fairly new, running Rotella 15-40.  I have a couple more, older samples to run.  They were delayed by the post office a month.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450