Hello everyone!

I am new to all of this and in the process of becoming full time RVers! Very exciting. 

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has their own online shop and make their goods that they sell from their RV. I would love to know where you are getting your business license and taxes. Do you change it to where you go or just use your domicile address for everything.

Thanks for the help!

Sarah

Welcome to the Escapees forums! A lot of the answer will depend on how your business works. If you sell in different venues in the different states as you travel, you will need to deal with things like sales tax in each state. If you are operating as a TX company and selling to customers that you ship to, you can probably be a TX company. You might be wise to get legal advice from an attorney in TX and perhaps also incorporate. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In Minnesota you could create a "Single Member LLC" and file income tax as a sole proprietor OR elect to be treated as an S Corporation for Federal and MN income tax purposes. If you don't have a tax advisor, consider consulting with one. (Each state will be different).

naea.org   (National Association of Enrolled Agents) member lookup

EAs tend to have smaller practices and are very approachable for small business owners like yourself.

Study the "Wayfair" decision to learn about sales tax issues, as Kirk has pointed out, very important. Each state will have different rules.

In addition to tax and legal bases, be sure to cover insurance issues with a qualified insurance agent. Don't assume that business activity, however small, is inconsequential.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:44 PM, sarahboris said:

Hello everyone!

I am new to all of this and in the process of becoming full time RVers! Very exciting. 

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has their own online shop and make their goods that they sell from their RV. I would love to know where you are getting your business license and taxes. Do you change it to where you go or just use your domicile address for everything.

Thanks for the help!

Sarah

Hi,

I have two Etsy shops. Currently full time but using a friends address for banking and hence business license and taxes. Arizona so not too bad.

It's going to rely upon what your bank accepts for an address for business. I was able to get personal checking and credit cards from same bank transferred to PO Box but they wanted a real address for my business.

I'm considering Texas domicile but too many question about banking with no clear firm answers. I anticipate it working out but probably have to get to Polk Co. to do it in person.

Lot's of ins and out about how to run it from the road too. Feel free to contact me for more specifics that may bore the general public here!

Here's my shops!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AztexSilver

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AztexTurquoise

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What are these questions? 

Most pressing...

Will my bank recognize the mail service for my business.

Over the phone no one could answer this in the 100% affirmative.

Seems business banking works under different rules than personal banking,

10 hours ago, aztex said:

Will my bank recognize the mail service for my business.

Will you be moving your bank to TX? If so there should be no problems and if there should be, choose a bank in Livingston where everyone knows and understands how Escapees live. TX law does allow for it and the federal law has provisions for it as well. The problem is that some financial institutions don't know the alternative to a fixed address. Escapees is by far the biggest mail service for RV fulltimers and many of them have had businesses for many years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Will you be moving your bank to TX? If so there should be no problems and if there should be, choose a bank in Livingston where everyone knows and understands how Escapees live. TX law does allow for it and the federal law has provisions for it as well. The problem is that some financial institutions don't know the alternative to a fixed address. Escapees is by far the biggest mail service for RV fulltimers and many of them have had businesses for many years. 

Well...

I have an established relationship with my bank and a deep business credit line. It's Bank of America who despite bad rep have treated me very well the past 20 years...

I believe there is a branch near Livingston which helps. I had investigated a while back and determined it will require a trip out to sort through. No big deal. I'd love to go and and waiting for an opportunity.

I only brought this up as the biggest challenge I've found running a business from the road and full timing. BTW there is nothing to stop you from running a small business through personal checking. Etsy, Ebay as far as I know. Depending upon your business an official business with checking licenses etc may or may not be necessary and save a lot of preliminary hassle. Although I'm confident I can untangle this it has consumed some effort with no resolution so far...