Speed parts!

Exile

I know some of you don’t like to drive your rvs fast, but I wanted to go faster than 55.  Truck went 45 at 1400 rpm.

got some 3.90s

swapped 20 year old dd405 and rd405 4.88s for 2011 dsp41 and rsp41 3.90s.

sigh, lost my lockers, but now I can make 55 with another gear left over.

1350 for the gears, 1200 cash to swap, 320$ in oil,  130$ in bolts, and 125$ in u joints.  

I would have liked to swap them myself, but i was too chicken to pull the yokes and split the u joints without buying 500$ in tools.  

now on to calibrate speedo, and steering and air conditioning and cruise control and. . .

tkX9tEkl.jpg

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

17 hours ago, Exile said:

I know some of you don’t like to drive your rvs fast, but I wanted to go faster than 55.  Truck went 45 at 1400 rpm.

got some 3.90s

swapped 20 year old dd405 and rd405 4.88s for 2011 dsp41 and rsp41 3.90s.

sigh, lost my lockers, but now I can make 55 with another gear left over.

1350 for the gears, 1200 cash to swap, 320$ in oil,  130$ in bolts, and 125$ in u joints.  

I would have liked to swap them myself, but i was too chicken to pull the yokes and split the u joints without buying 500$ in tools.  

now on to calibrate speedo, and steering and air conditioning and cruise control and. . .

tkX9tEkl.jpg

Howdy Exile,

Just wondering why after this expense you went with a 3.90 gear when the 3.55 are so much more common.  I had 3.55 in my Freightliner and now in my Pete, 1,400rpm which was the sweet spot 12.7 in the Freightliner gave 63mph, the Cat C15 in the Pete really like 1,400-1,500rpm 63-72mph with nearly the same fuel mileage 7.2mpg in the Freightliner, 6.9 in the Pete.

That said, 4.88 to 3.90 is a big jump that I am sure you will be happy with.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Truck only has an 8ll with a .73 od, so not a lot of gear choices.  Goes 60 at 1400, 64 at 1500 with 3.90

i looked at 3.73 but not 3.55, and 3.73 looked pretty tall.

i see 3.55 would give 1600@ 55 in 7th and 66@1400 in 8th, yep, that would have worked well.

Oh well, they’re in.  I know what to look for in the next truck 🙂

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

9 hours ago, Exile said:

Truck only has an 8ll with a .73 od, so not a lot of gear choices.  Goes 60 at 1400, 64 at 1500 with 3.90

i looked at 3.73 but not 3.55, and 3.73 looked pretty tall.

i see 3.55 would give 1600@ 55 in 7th and 66@1400 in 8th, yep, that would have worked well.

Oh well, they’re in.  I know what to look for in the next truck 🙂

Howdy Exile,

Sure wish I had lockers in mine, have had to engage the interlock a couple of times just to get moving but lockers would be sweet.  I looked into the cost and I just couldn't justify it for the few times with my normal use that they might come in handy.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My HDT is still tandem and both axles are lockers.  It is one of those things that isn't needed often but I have used it a couple of times.  I try to avoid those situations.  If it gets really sloppy steering doesn't respond very well when locked up.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

• 2 weeks later...

Had to use the locker in my single axle Sat. Was spinning and sliding sideways. Flipped the locker switch. Idled right out and nice to have 4 rear wheels pulling rather then only 2 on one side.😁 Mine came factory with the locker and single axle. Along with 2.93 gears.

event.png

A driver controlled diff lock in a single rear axle tractor especially with Big Power and Big Fuel Tanks ( I.e. Big Weight on the steer axle) is almost a must. One wheel drive is a nuisance on the wet off camber grasses, snow and ice standing starts etc.

One locker in a tandem gives you 3 wheel drive, and still answer the helm...

Tandems give lotsa flotation in soft ground - and scratching abilities to push the Heavy Steer axle through the sand ( air down the steer tires in a emergency)

And then, if you need ultimate flotation and mobility to absolute have to go somewhere when it rains in the desert, or go campin in Alberta in the springtime, you want a KW C500 6x6 340” bed, lockers, and tracks... 

a guy could bed load a custom 2 storey camper with party deck. Just back in where you want it and stand it up like a 400bbl tank. A guy would need a few gimbal mounted things inside and 2 way dish racks and stuff. 

Only problem is these trucks are lotsa bucks when they are new, and they don’t fall apart so are still lotsa bucks even when they are “old”... 

https://youtu.be/A9KMqwqLboE

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 3 weeks later...

My class 8 conversion is geared WAY to fast for my liking...if I were to regear it I would probably go somewhere in the 3.55 or 3.73 range with my low pro 22.5 rubber and keep my 3way lockers.... most people would want to keep the 3.23ish gears that are in it....

A little off topic but further to what noteven showed....amazing what properly built/equipped machines are capable of....that being said- what works for my wants/needs may not be what works for you....

If you are worried about getting a tug from a tow truck.....  4 dozers, 2 bed trucks moving one trailer

Own your own new KW 8x8   new/unused Kenworth 8x8

Like noteven said old but still expensive     45yr old 6x6