Service episode in TN

Jaydrvr

On our way back to FL last summer, I pulled into a campground just north of Knoxville hearing a lot of air loss, with the matching gauge dropping like a rock. In the morning, I went to a nearby local shop, where they quickly changed out my bad brake chamber and we were on our way. Unfortunately, while checking the truck a couple months later, I discovered the new chamber almost falling off and taking the slack adjuster with it. That cost almost $600.00 to correct. I was, of course, not really happy with that level of incompetence and left the shop a rather scathing review. My experience with shops left in the mirror is that they kinda laugh at you and then suggest I bring it in so they can look at it. Long story somewhat shorter, Allen at Performance Truck in Heiskell, TN saw my review, requested and looked over my documentation and fully refunded the almost $600.00 the Volvo shop charged me to fix the mistake. If you're ever near Knoxville and need service, I highly recommend them. No one's perfect, but they truly stand behind their work. Jay

5 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Very happy with how it turned out. Thanks, guys.

Did he also give an explanation for why it happened?  I live in Knoxville and have always had good service at Worldwide Equipment which is the Volvo dealer.  It’s also near the campground. I hope it was an isolated event.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Did he also give an explanation for why it happened?  I live in Knoxville and have always had good service at Worldwide Equipment which is the Volvo dealer.  It’s also near the campground. I hope it was an isolated event.

It was pretty simple, the tech simply didn't torque the brake chamber nuts down properly. Very visible in the pictures. Just a sloppy tech. I thought about going to Volvo, but my experience with them is less than satisfactory and the chamber was leaking enough I didn't want to go that far. Jay

Jay,

Please don’t take this personal, but would you really recommend a shop that did sloppy service?  Maybe if they re-trained the tech or instituted some quality assurance. I’m glad they admitted the mistake and refunded your money.  You’re right that’s rare.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

11 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Jay,

Please don’t take this personal, but would you really recommend a shop that did sloppy service?  Maybe if they re-trained the tech or instituted some quality assurance. I’m glad they admitted the mistake and refunded your money.  You’re right that’s rare.

Suite, that's a reasonable and valid question. My recommendation is based on thirty years on the road, using shops from coast to coast. None are perfect, although a couple get close. My home Volvo shop messes up regularly and I get to pay for their mistakes. I call it the "incompetence tax". It just depends on who is behind the wrench. The difference is in management. They know me personally, treat me with respect and do their best to do a good job at a fair price. The kid who did an incomplete job on my brakes will likely grow into a better mechanic, with proper oversight and mentoring. Since there seems to be no such thing as a perfect shop, I prefer one with exceptional values and ethics, hence my recommendation. Jay

40 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Suite, that's a reasonable and valid question. My recommendation is based on thirty years on the road, using shops from coast to coast. None are perfect, although a couple get close. My home Volvo shop messes up regularly and I get to pay for their mistakes. I call it the "incompetence tax". It just depends on who is behind the wrench. The difference is in management. They know me personally, treat me with respect and do their best to do a good job at a fair price. The kid who did an incomplete job on my brakes will likely grow into a better mechanic, with proper oversight and mentoring. Since there seems to be no such thing as a perfect shop, I prefer one with exceptional values and ethics, hence my recommendation. Jay

Thanks.  That’s how I learn from you experienced guys.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

WOW Volvo brake chambers must cost more then my KW chambers do. I picked up a new one, and $29.99 out the door. If the chamber its self would have been in better shape. The Total cost would have been $3.49 cents for a new Pancake gasket, that's in the truck. This was a 3030 chamber for mine.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png