SW Colorado suggestions

agesilaus

Thinking ahead to next summer. My wife can retire and so that will give us more time. I was thinking about Canada up to Jasper anyway but decided to hold off one that for awhile.

So now I'm looking at traveling from Florida to Great Sand Dunes for a few days. I have a number of COE sites along that way. But going west from GSD is the question and I'm looking for suggestions for boondocking or at least dry camping.

I have a 4WD F350 pulling a 30 ft Arctic Fox TT that is designed for backcountry roads. Mild ones anyway no step ledges...heh. I'd like to find some good scenic spots that we can get the TT up to and in. We have done half of the Alpine Loop in the truck, Engineer's Pass was closed. It seems like there may have been some spots in the eastern section of that before you hit the mountains.

Area I'm looking at: west of GSD to Cortez and north to I-70. Nothing particular in mind except maybe that mesa south and west of 141.

Then into Utah probably, Bryce, Escalante, Canyonlands ect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

One of my favorite spots out of Cortez is up 145 north of Dolores several miles to 38 along the West Dolores River.  There are a couple of campgrounds along 38 I've never stayed in, but I think they have electric and vault toilets.  On past Dunton is where I like, up high and you can view all of the peaks in the area.  Beautiful high meadows, cool air, lot's of wildlife.

Continuing on 38 will bring you out on 145 again between Rico and Ames.  From there you can choose your path, lot's of open camping all the way north to IH70.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

There are just so many places to boondock in that area in the national forests.  There are also many, many dry campgrounds in the national forests.  That whole area is an all-time favorite of ours.  Zero in on the San Juan, Rio Grande, Uncompahgre, Gunnison and Grand Mesa National Forests.  We've camped in these areas both boondocking and forest campgrounds: Pagosa Springs, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Creede, Lake City, Dolores, Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Buena Vista, Leadville, Redstone and Grand Mesa.

To be able to do the whole Alpine Loop you need to plan for it to be open in July - September; sometimes earlier/later but don't count on it. Those are very high elevations and snow is possible at any time.  There is nice boondocking down South Mineral Creek Rd. at Silverton and also around Lake City.

This may help to get you started:

https://www.campendium.com/colorado/free-camping

Dow's National Forest Campground site was always a 'go to' site for us.  It gave excellent directions and lots of information on each campground.  They personally visited each one.  Many times as we were driving to campgrounds we'd see a nice boondocking spot to stay, also.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pictures/pictures.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Dow's National Forest Campground site was always a 'go to' site for us.  It gave excellent directions and lots of information on each campground.

We also used and appreciated that information. But, we stopped full-timing in 2011 so I wonder how current their information is now. Do you know if they regularly do updates?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

We also used and appreciated that information. But, we stopped full-timing in 2011 so I wonder how current their information is now. Do you know if they regularly do updates?

Linda

This 'clicky' https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/nfw_archives/nfwa.htm  is a link to their current newsletter that you can subscribe to. They continue to give information as of this month.  Updates are mostly dependent on users giving them.  Even if it's not totally accurate it's close enough.  The driving directions would still be good.  Season dates may change, etc.  Always good to confirm via other means - phone or finding an updated review somewhere.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel