Onan 2.8 Generator Question

Had a Microlite 2.5  LP in a truck camper that ran a 13.5 btu ac. Bogged a  bit when compressor came on, but fine after that. Believe the 2.8 is the gas version of the 2.5 LP. Don't know if ac had a soft start, but didn't act like it.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Thanks JC, I had a Kohler 2.5 in an RV that started and ran a 13,500 BTU AC, but it really growled and groaned and "cursed" when it started lol. Ima thinking a new Cummins Onan 2800 shouldn't have a problem even without soft start feature but was just lookin for opinions.

Nice chatting with you, take care.

John T 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, trailertraveler said:

I had an Onan 2800 in a 2004 27' Coachman Class C. Not sure what size the AC was, but the generator ran it just fine even at altitude (with the altitude setting adjusted).

Thanks for the information. After study and research and my own past experience with an even smaller 2.5 KW and an AC, I bit the bullet and ordered a new Cummins Onan 2800. I like the fact its smaller, lighter, quieter and uses less fuel then my old Generac 4700. We dry camp often and head North or higher elevations if its too hot, so its rare we would ever run the AC anyway and rely primarily on our 1080 solar watts, three AGM batteries and 2000/4000 PSW Inverter for our modest 29' Class C energy needs.

Thanks to all and best wishes

John T  A bit poorer now but still one Happy Camper 

UPDATE  I installed the Cummins Onan 2800 and after some initial run & break in time per the manual I ran the AC on high (compressor engaged) PLUS the microwave for some 2 to 3 minute cycles and forgot my PD 9280 80 Amp Charger was powered up and she purred like a kitten in a creamery and maintained around 116 volts at 60 HZ  when all three appliances were running and 118 or so under a moderate load. When dry camping in cases where the Inverter doesn't suffice so the genset is running the wife is already in the habit of kicking the AC on Fan only when running the microwave or Keurig coffee maker or hot air cooker or hair dryer etc etc and I'm not gonna tell her any different to be on the safe side.

Alls well so far but next week we will be dry camping 7 days at The Half Century of Progress Antique Farm Show in Rantoul IL and that will be more of the gensets test, although its used seldom with my solar and battery/inverter capacity......….

Best wishes yall, be safe out there

John T  

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:56 PM, Kirk W said:

I have always had good service from Onan generators so I'm not at all surprised.

Pretty much the same Onan experiences here Kirk. So far so good on my new unit. I'm sure you remember the older smoother running much quieter two cylinder 1800 RPM Onans.  I loved them in their day but thy got heavy and expensive so the smaller Cummins Onan gensets went to the lighter cheaper to build single cylinder screaming 3600 RPM units SIGH...…..In  a couple months I will be headed to your neck of the woods and part time in the Marshall, Longview, Kilgore, Livingston (SKP) then Austin Texas (daughters) areas before Magnolia Beach and Matagorda Bay. I will wave as I go by.

Later, thanks for the help you have provided myself and others on here.

John T