Volvo 730 - Is this a good deal?

Scott & Kat

Fresh off the ECR and I'm currently considering a 2015 Volvo 730.  Specs are 622k miles, has I Shift with 2.64 gear and Overdrive.  D13 Engine.  No APU.  

Transmission and Turbo were replaced last year.  Is this normal or indicative of abnormal wear and tear? 

The plan would be to single it and add a bed later and make it a Hauler.  Cost is $47,500.  

My gut tells me it's an okay deal, but not great.  I'm thinking we can do better, am I crazy or realistic? 

If we took the the next step, we would request a dyno test and a fluid test.  I also would look into the Provenance, if available. 

Thoughts?   

N3jHghxl.jpg

I know a fellow near me that had a couple of 08 Volvo’s with the i-shift.  He said they were excellent until about 550,000 miles and then he had all kinds of transmission issues that the local dealer threw lots of parts at them and eventually he had the transmissions replaced and then sold them soon after.  So I don’t think the transmission being replaced is a bad thing and if there is warranty that could be a bonus.  I don’t know about the turbo maybe someone else has knowledge.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

8 hours ago, Scott & Kat said:

Fresh off the ECR and I'm currently considering a 2015 Volvo 730.  Specs are 622k miles, has I Shift with 2.64 gear and Overdrive.  D13 Engine.  No APU.  

Transmission and Turbo were replaced last year.  Is this normal or indicative of abnormal wear and tear? 

The plan would be to single it and add a bed later and make it a Hauler.  Cost is $47,500.  

My gut tells me it's an okay deal, but not great.  I'm thinking we can do better, am I crazy or realistic? 

If we took the the next step, we would request a dyno test and a fluid test.  I also would look into the Provenance, if available. 

Thoughts?   

N3jHghxl.jpg

Ours is a 2012 730, D13 with 650000 miles on it and we paid right around 35K for it.  Ask if an overhead was done on it, that checks the sleeves and pistons, cost about 1500 dollars to do. Do they have the maintenance records ?

There are going to be a lot of them coming on the market as the fleets start to upgrade to the Gen 3's this year.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

In my search it seemed the 730 was the hardest to find.  We eventually bought from RDO in North Dakota.  They get fleet grain haulers in batches.  (730's)

They have lower miles, ours was in the 425k range, but higher prices, mid $50k.  I wish ours had overdrive but it does not.  Also did not have locking differential.  It might be worth an email to find out more.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I appreciate the responses so far, thanks.  

Dealer does not have any of the Maintenance records other than the Transmission and Turbo replacement.  He's willing to do the Overhead to close the deal.  

I have the build sheet and it lists (among many other things, :) ), TUXB1X - Diff. Lock Interaxle only.  Kevin, is this the same as a locking differential?  I would assume this offers the same benefit in passenger cars and trucks, right?  Both wheels would spin in a loss of traction event.  The term Interaxle only throws me here.  

I agree it's ok but not great.  First ALL of the volvos we have start having issues at 600k.  Having the transmission changed is a huge plus.  The other issues are all emission related to the def system.   All sorts of sensors seem to fail around the 600k mark.  And if the truck sits then more issues pop up.  Being able to go over the truck with a fine tooth comb is worth a lot of money compared to buying at the Ritchie brothers auction.  Take it to a dealer and have then go through it to see if it meets trade terms.  Money well spent plus you will be using them for several things as you single it.  Read up on trade terms. They are published.   Do not buy a 2012 or 13 period.  Worst two years of trucks we ever ran.  Also the safety of adaptive cruise just keeps getting better in the newer trucks.   Also dont forget to look at engine hours to make sure the truck wasn't idled to death.   

4 hours ago, Scott & Kat said:

I have the build sheet and it lists (among many other things, :) ), TUXB1X - Diff. Lock Interaxle only.  Kevin, is this the same as a locking differential?  I would assume this offers the same benefit in passenger cars and trucks, right?  Both wheels would spin in a loss of traction event.  The term Interaxle only throws me here.  

There's a third differential between the axles so they can go over bumps and dips independently without sending driveline shocks to the other axle.  Mechanically it's part of the front axle so you won't see a pumpkin between the axles.

Interaxle locks this differential so there's a solid connection between the axles.  Without it locked one wheel spinning will rob all of the power from the remaining wheels.

With the interaxle locked, you'll still have power going to the second axle which will move you if both of it's tires have traction.

4 hours ago, 1930harley said:

Do not buy a 2012 or 13 period.  Worst two years of trucks we ever ran. 

Of course 2013 is the year I have.  Worst how?  😱  I have already experienced NOX sensor pain.  I could envision deleting the pollution equipment in the future, but not yet.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I agree it's ok but not great.  First ALL of the volvos we have start having issues at 600k.  Having the transmission changed is a huge plus.  The other issues are all emission related to the def system.   All sorts of sensors seem to fail around the 600k mark.  And if the truck sits then more issues pop up.  Being able to go over the truck with a fine tooth comb is worth a lot of money compared to buying at the Ritchie brothers auction.  Take it to a dealer and have then go through it to see if it meets trade terms.  Money well spent plus you will be using them for several things as you single it.  Read up on trade terms. They are published.   Do not buy a 2012 or 13 period.  Worst two years of trucks we ever ran.  Also the safety of adaptive cruise just keeps getting better in the newer trucks.   Also dont forget to look at engine hours to make sure the truck wasn't idled to death.   

Again we were running our trucks about 180k miles a year.   2012 2013 both had transmission issues and constant engine issues from 500k on.  We had injector issues,  turbo issues,  emission issues constantly.   We finally were able to trade them in  At 600k .  Was so glad to get rid of them.   My concern with my 2015 freightliner is making sure it gets driven.  Trucks that sit are just asking for problems.   Even though I wiill only put about 10k miles a year on it it needs ti be driven frequently. 

Archived