Power supply email from WiFiRanger

WiFiRanger customers should have received the attached email last night. I have posted it here in case it went to your SPAM folders or to an email that is no longer in use. If you can't read the attachment you can use this link to take you to the appropriate Technical Service Bulletin.

https://wifiranger.com/04-2019-24vdc-direct

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

WiFiRanger indoor routers have USB ports and we've noticed that customers are using those to power a variety of hotspots and other devices.  This can result in inadvertently overloading the power supply which can cause it to run warm and eventually fail.   We've decided to be proactive and replace them with a more robust power supply that customers can use as they wish.  None of the failed power supplies have caused significant problems, but we have decided to get ahead of the issue and replace them.   WiFiRangers sold after March 2018 have been shipped with a larger power supply.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

How do I identify the newer plug being used? Is there a part number on it? Mine is different then the one you posted.  As I sometimes plug my IPhone into it to use as a hot spot which also charges it at the same time.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

If yours looks different than the one in the picture then you probably don't have a problem.  Use the link I provided.  On that webpage there is a place to enter your Ranger's ID number.  It will immediately tell you if you have a potential issue with your power supply.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

15 hours ago, docj said:

If yours looks different than the one in the picture then you probably don't have a problem.  Use the link I provided.  On that webpage there is a place to enter your Ranger's ID number.  It will immediately tell you if you have a potential issue with your power supply.

That is not what you posted states.  It states if you have this adapter, there is no need to read further. So you would ass-u-me that the adapter pictured is the newer adapter that they want you to have. I did enter my WiFi Ranger ID.  It said to contact customer service.  They called back and said your good.  I guess they know exactly what Ranger IDs are bad.  Why would it tell me to call if they knew by my ID that I was good?

Thanks

10 hours ago, rynosback said:

That is not what you posted states.  It states if you have this adapter, there is no need to read further. So you would ass-u-me that the adapter pictured is the newer adapter that they want you to have. I did enter my WiFi Ranger ID.  It said to contact customer service.  They called back and said your good.  I guess they know exactly what Ranger IDs are bad.  Why would it tell me to call if they knew by my ID that I was good?

Thanks

The TSB states at the top of the page that if you are using a 120V power supply for your Ranger you didn't have to worry and didn't how to do anything else. If you are using a power supply that runs off of 12V and it looks like the one pictured in the second picture you should go through the process of entering your Ranger's ID number.  I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thanks Joel.  Not clear on why they even had an image of a 120v plug in if it is not an issue.  Why even bring it up or have an image of one?  

Thanks again and happy to know thatI am good to go.  

Wifi Rangers and your support is top notch. 

4 hours ago, rynosback said:

Not clear on why they even had an image of a 120v plug in if it is not an issue.  Why even bring it up or have an image of one?  

I never said that I wrote the TSB!  😀

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived