Full vs. Part Timer Insurance?

aztex

Howdy,

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum but could not find a thread with multiple searches... so...

I was shopping around for a better insurance deal, either better coverage or cheaper or both and found mention of full time vs. part time coverage.

I currently have Geico insurance bought when I was still living in a house. I've only been on the road about 3 months and while feel committed to the lifestyle that could change.

I'm using/"renting" a friends address for banking and have used that as a residence as I weigh options in the coming months.It seems to me I can have a much cheaper deal as part time and so far I am! I declared I'll stay ~100 days a year in RV and it's only been 70 so far!

Is full time more expensive? My Progressive quote is $671 as-is. I'm AZ resident and own a business there too.

Does having auto and RV insurance with different companies make sense? Cheaper to bundle?

Progressive said they will not insure my "stuff", guitar tools etc only RV gear and suggested renters insurance. Will full time provide more protection?

Will playing my current game of part time back fire on me down the road?

Is there a good article covering this in an Escapees magazine or other online resource?

Thanks,

Az Tex

Full timers insurance is like homeowners insurance, covers a lot more and you can add on riders to cover specific items or up the personal items insurance. When you need full time insurance depends on your current insurance policy. Sometimes it is 3 months and sometimes 6 months before you are thought of as a full timer.

Having all your policies with one company is not necessarily less expensive. We have always had Nationwide both for the RV and the car. Once we moved to TX the RV was OK price wise, the car was 4 times higher than USAA. Go figure.

I would advise you to go to a broker like FCIS ( 800-331-1520 )or Miller ( 800-622-6347 ). They deal with many companies and can help you make a decision.

Happy Travels

5 hours ago, aztex said:

Is full time more expensive? My Progressive quote is $671 as-is. I'm AZ resident and own a business there too.

Progressive said they will not insure my "stuff", guitar tools etc only RV gear and suggested renters insurance. Will full time provide more protection?

Will playing my current game of part time back fire on me down the road?

Yes a Fulltimers Policy is more expensive because it includes additional coverages. 

Most RV Insurers will require you to get a Fulltimers Policy if you live in the RV more than xxx days a year, or if you have no other fixed residence. However, not all insurers will write a fulltimers policy.

With no HomeOwners policy, the primary coverage you're missing is Personal Liability Coverage. If someone sues you for something that doesn't involve a collision, then your normal RV policy will not cover it, but a Fulltimers Policy will.  You could also purchase whats called an Umbrella Liability Policy to get additional liability coverage.  

The fulltimers Policy will also usually include Medical Expenses for others hurt in or around your RV. Most fulltimers policies also allow a higher level of personal property limits and/or specific riders to cover additional electronics, computers, firearms, jewelry, etc.  Some also include an Emergency Living Expenses coverage, to pay for hotel expenses if the RV is in the shop under a claim.

Jim

2 hours ago, JRP said:

You could also purchase whats called an Umbrella Liability Policy to get additional liability coverage.  

A very good answer with this exception. I know of no umbrella policy that will cover you unless you care liability insurance. That means with a part-time RV policy the umbrella policy will not cover unless you have a home owner's policy to provide that coverage. All umbrella policies that I found were "excess coverage" policies, meaning that they start only after some other liability policy ends. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived