We've only just begun

PapaJohn

3 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

Welcome to the forum and to your new adventure. We're here to help and we are so looking forward to meeting you out n the road somewhere. Feel free to ask questions, we love to share our own experience. We were all in your position once!

BnB

Thanks for the welcome response! We purchased the 1998 Thomas Built School Bus DT466E yesterday. The seller had wanted to convert it to an RV but never finished it. It had been sitting for 2 years, he said he started it about once a month to let it warm up and just to run it. We did a trip inspection on it and it appeared to be road worthy and would pass state inspection. My wife and I were team drivers for an over the road freight company so we are accustomed to driving large vehicles and doing safety inspections. We had checked with Texas DMV and had the necessary documents to drive it home. The trip home was about 51 miles over Texas farm roads, no big deal right!! We were about 30 miles into the trip when we found out the fuel gauge was off by 1/4 tank. We found out the hard way as we were now sitting on the side of the road, out of fuel. Luckily we had 5 gallon fuel can and we were less than 1/2 mile from fuel. It isn't easy to get a rig running again after it has died out of fuel, but after an hour or so we were able to get it primed back up and running. The remainder of the trip went without incident other than the fact that its A/C unit wasn't working and it was 100 deg out.

We now have it home and starting to put all the flooring down, which he had plenty of it!! The adventure continues!!

1998 Thomas Built IC

DT 466E

24 Passenger

Conversion/purchase start date

8/22/2018

Welcome! When I first read your initial post I thought that there was a typo ("conversion" instead of "conversation") but when I read your second post I realized that you, indeed, meant conversion.

Might I ask that you set up a blog that would include what you are doing and pictures of it? Put the link in your signature and we can follow your progress. There will be a LOT of work in this project, and it may well never be finished because there will always be something more you want to do.

If you plan things well you might be able to actually use it before it is completely done. That may also help you to make some decisions about how you will do something. Yes, driving a bus to a park so you can sleep on cots, eat at the picnic table, and use the campground bath facilities doesn't seem like a very cost-effective way to camp, but as you make progress on the conversion you will learn what YOU want in YOUR camper.

I hope that you are undertaking this project because you either want something unique OR because you enjoy the challenge. If you are thinking that you will get your money back when it is done you are sadly mistaken. The completed camper will be worth about what you paid for the bus.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived