Need tires thoughts?

house

I need some input, I have not been around here recently but I have decided my 2005 manufacture Westlake drive tires are done.  Too many cracks in the sidewalls for me to be comfortable.  Just curious what you guys are running for tires.  I am looking for some thing like a Toyo/Yokohama/Hankook level tire that has some Mud and Snow properties.  I am mostly on the road, but pulling out of my yard when it is raining can be challenging as well we go to Denver in January so we can hit snow.  My first question is how much does open shoulder vs close shoulder effect the tire handling/road noise?  I am not worried about wearing these tires out the truck will rust apart before these tires are done so wear is not much of an issue.  My current tire size is 285/75R24.5 am sort of stuck with that because nothing bigger will fit in the wheel well and I don't want to go smaller because the truck does not have overdrive so I need as long a legs as I can get.

Well,  tires age out as you see. I go to a truck salvage yard that I deal with, and buy a whole axle of tires (4) . I try to find fresh kill with polished wheels, and trade all 4 mounted for the ones off the donor. Save a bunch of $ on the mount/bal. Last ones I got were Kumho, holding up real well. $800 exchange & they swapped them for me at the yard.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I went with Sailun's with open shoulders.  Don't notice any more road noise then the old ones.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I also went with Hercules steer tires due to price and the on-line quality reviews.  I kept one of my old steer tires for a spare to carry with me, it is mounted on a spare rim and ready to be mounted.  If you have space conside this or just buy a third.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Archived