InvisiBrake

Although I've never felt a need for a supplemental braking system on the car that I tow with my diesel pusher, and am not required to have one in Texas, where my vehicles are registered, I am hoping to travel this summer in several states where such systems are required, and I don't want to encounter any problem for not having one.  Therefore, I am considering installing a RoadMaster InvisiBrake because once the unit it installed under the driver's seat, you NEVER have to connect or disconnect it: it just works automatically whenever the toad is connected to the coach.  Anyone have any experience with this system?  I know that RoadMaster is a reliable company--my tow bar is by it--and there are many places within a reasonable drive of me that could install an InvisiBrake.  

Our Invisibrake has been working well since 2012.  Ours was put in about a two hour drive from Roadmaster, which is in Vancouver WA (across the Columbia River from Portland OR), so I can't help you on local installers.   

But since you have a diesel pusher, there are supplemental braking systems that tie into the motorhome air brakes and should be as easy to connect/disconnect once installed.  Look at the SMI Air Force One and the US Gear Unified Tow Brake along with the Invisibrake.  We went all Roadmaster due to it being close to where we had the install done, but might have gone with one of the others if we were further away.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

5 hours ago, gypsyken said:

I am hoping to travel this summer in several states where such systems are required,

Which states are they? If it is true then it is pretty recent. Most states do have a braking requirement for trailers at some prescribed weight and a car on a tow-bar could be considered to be such, but I know of no state that does this. 

On the other hand, I would never tow a car without the auxiliary brake since no matter what you tow with, having brakes on the towed vehicle will decrease your stopping distance. To me, it is the same as wearing a seat belt even when you are sure that you won't be involved in an accident. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good Sam and other sources say that states consider a car towed behind a motorhome to be a trailer to which laws regarding trailer brakes apply.  The information about brake requirements is presented in the Good Sam campground directory.  I'm not required to have a supplemental braking system on my towed car in Texas because it's below the weight of a trailer on which brakes are required.

As you know, Bill Joyce, the InvisiBrake is activated by the cable connected to the car that turns the car's brake lights on when the motorhome's brake lights are turned on, so no additional connection or modification of connections between the motorhome and the car is required.  I  would much prefer that to a system that taps into the motorhome's air brake system and does require making an additional connection.  As I indicated, Road Master provided several facilities within 30-50 miles Rainbow's End in Livingston that could install an InvisiBrake, so finding one is not a problem. 

Actually the Invisibrake is activated when the motorhome brake lights are on.  In our motorhome the engine brake also turns on the brake lights and thus the Invisibrake comes on, which I am fine with.  Part of the installation is a dash light that comes on when the towed car brakes go on, which can be reassuring.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived