who has commercial California registration

RKMoezee

10 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Unfortunately, "USING" an RV  didn't work well for CA folks who were still working, and couldn't spend lots of time outside of CA.  (without some ahhh - "subterfuge"). For retired folks = easy & legal !) 

This is why we are planning to pay the CA tax.

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

12 hours ago, Roger & Margaret said:

You're right, a smog check is required for most diesel engines if you are registered in CA.  I had a 05 Ram, my father has an 06 MH, both require smog, but that does not apply to anyone just driving through.  They don't do smog checks at the border, and they don't require you to have a 2010 compliant engine to run in this state.

It's also a practical matter.  A few months ago, I spoke to a friend of mine who is a CHP commercial inspector because I was concerned about the impact to my business and my older trucks.  He told me that the Air Resource Board who is pushing these 2010 engine compliance standards, currently does not have a means to enforce them.  According to him, the CHP is not enforcing this, and neither is the DMV when you re-register. 

I also spoke to an insurance broker he recommended, who almost exclusively deals with commercial vehicles and she told me that two of the largest insurance companies she deals with is telling her that nearly 90% of the commercial vehicles they insure would not pass the 2010 engine compliance standards.  Just looking around, I think 90% may be to low.

The bottom line, if the Air Resource Board could wave a magic wand and wipe all the older vehicles off the streets of CA they would, but they can't and it's no likely to happen anytime soon.  Just imagine the economic impact to this state if all these vehicles were suddenly shut down.

California does not have to check everything, they have this great thing called hot line to the EPA, report the vehicle with license and locaton and get a summins in the mail to have your vehicle inspected.  Happened to me twice already and had to prove that my DPF and EGR was fully functional and no soot was being emitted, guilty till proved innocent ....  Got love it !!  Did not matter I passed all smog checks and documents to prove it.

On 4/22/2018 at 7:54 PM, Pug said:

California does not have to check everything, they have this great thing called hot line to the EPA, report the vehicle with license and locaton and get a summins in the mail to have your vehicle inspected.  Happened to me twice already and had to prove that my DPF and EGR was fully functional and no soot was being emitted, guilty till proved innocent ....  Got love it !!  Did not matter I passed all smog checks and documents to prove it.

Pug - Smog checks for your commercial vehicles (MDT & HDT "tractors")  are miles apart (no pun!) of those for MHs and pickups!

While (the summons) is entirely believable for trucks involved in commerce, it simply does NOT happen for pickups and Motor Homes.  Except......

Yes,  there is a hot line to report *any* gross polluters - which would include a Totoya Corolla blowing clouds of  blue exhaust!  However, the CHP or local gendarmes will be quicker (than a summons) with a "greetings" to/for the recalcitrant operator - who usually has expired tags anyway.

Smog checks for diesel MHs and pickups are basically "look and see" (factory equipment in place?  -or- EPA cert aftermarket equip?), see if the check engine light is on (fail), and connect to OBD port. No dyno.  Pay your bucks, and adios.

They are req'd every two years, except for newer vehicles which get a five (5) year "pass" (no check req'd).  That one put a lot of folks who invested a lot of $$ in equipment out of business! (Including my bIL who had been a test facility since it's inception). 

Every pickup (from the oldest Datsun to a Chev Avalanche) is required to have commercial plates in CA.  Doesn't matter if all you carry are golf clubs and groceries! There are a few exceptions - although some of those have "gone away". (My bought new -by me- 1966 El Camino was req'd to have  commercial plates in '66)

See those - "No Pickups" signs at scales?  

They should say, "MAYBE Pickups"!  An interesting read is on the CA DOT "Weigh Stations (Enforcement Facilities)" site -  " Who must stop at scales" - which includes  (stopping) for pickups with a utility body or stake bed and upper GVWs  for pickups.

Scroll down to - "Do these vehicles have to stop at scales?"

Out-of-state pickups -  (Not registered in CA) - - smile as you go past.

BTW - those of us old enough to remember the CA smog in major cities of the 1950's - are smiling also!

Interesting ...  I own diesel & gasoline personal vehicles, commercial MDT and HDT vehicles along with a range of construction and agricultural machinery ranging from tier 1 tru 4 engines .... plus  30 vehicles that range from 1947 to 1972 in our collection.    I guess what I deal with a regular basis must be a special case and just outline for me over the years.

Pappy, I disagree with some of your statements based on personal experience in the state of california over the last 12 years alone and updated regulations.

Archived