Norcold Refrigerator Door

LindaH

We've been RVing since 1996, 12 years of that as fulltimers, and we've never had a refrigerator door come off.  Well, it happened to us yesterday...the bottom plastic hinge broke!

We figured we'd have to buy a new door, but in doing a Google search, I came across this video.  There are other, similar videos out there, too.  So, when we get home, we're going to look into having a similar piece fabricated for us.  Don't know how much it will cost, but probably a lot less than ordering a new door (which is what all the RV places want to do)!

Anyone have any other ideas?  There are some hinges available on Amazon that might work, but until we get home and have a chance to really look closely at the door, we won't know if any of them will work.  The refrigerator model we have is the Norcold N822RT.

In the meantime, we've jury-rigged the door so that, hopefully, it'll stay on for our trip home!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks for the video!  There was another website I found where the person did the same thing, but it consisted of only pictures, no video.

We'll have time to mess with it when we get back home, which we're scheduled to be on Tuesday.

So, far, our jury-rigged door is working like a champ!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Same thing happened to an earlier fiver we had.  Fixed is per the above video and never had another problem.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We had the same thing happen to us last year!  We did have to order a new door, BUT---we were able to order a metal reinforcement part from Amazon. They worked perfectly.

You might consider ordering this part when you get home, rather than having one custom made.  It's about $28 o Amazon.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-634166-Door-Hinge-Retrofit/dp/B008KWP6MC

Linda, age old issue on Norcold doors since 2006. They used to be metal hinges which worked well.

Anyhow, I must add the retrofit kit is for a good hinge as a reinforcement not to repair a broken hinge. Also, even with the reinforced door I suggest taking all heavier items out of the door and put them on the refer shelf when traveling. The door when loaded with heavy stuff on rough roads plays havoc on the hinges. Just sayin'.

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

11 hours ago, TVQ said:

We had the same thing happen to us last year!  We did have to order a new door, BUT---we were able to order a metal reinforcement part from Amazon. They worked perfectly.

You might consider ordering this part when you get home, rather than having one custom made.  It's about $28 o Amazon.

Here's a link:

I've seen that hinge on Amazon, but am confused about the part that bends over with the two tabs.  How does that fit at the bottom corner?  The fixes shown in the video I linked to, and the video pjstough linked to, both are flat pieces of metal...more along this line (although this particular piece is plastic).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

10 hours ago, rockintom said:

Anyhow, I must add the retrofit kit is for a good hinge as a reinforcement not to repair a broken hinge.

The two videos, above, both were retrofits for a broken hinge.  Are you saying they won't work?  Or are you talking specifically about the hinge that TVQ linked to?

I'd rather try a retrofit to begin with rather than buying a new door.  I have no idea how much a new door costs, but considering the price of a new refrigerator, I would hazard a guess that it's a few hundred dollars.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I put the door hinge retrofit on our door before the hinge broke off with the hope of staving off the problem.  It is easy to put on.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

13 minutes ago, LindaH said:

The two videos, above, both were retrofits for a broken hinge.  Are you saying they won't work?  Or are you talking specifically about the hinge that TVQ linked to?

The retro fits work perfectly. The part linked (amazon) is preventative. Those prongs wrap around the base of the door for weight displacement to reinforce the door... "before" it breaks.

It's not as easy, but it's cheaper, the most "solid" solution, IMHO... and not a bad idea to just do your own retro fit as shown in the second vid before any breakage occurs. Timed when your refer isn't in use couldn't hurt since it's not a "demand" repair.

It's also much easier making and aligning your retro fit piece using an intact door as a template.

42 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I'd rather try a retrofit to begin with rather than buying a new door.  I have no idea how much a new door costs, but considering the price of a new refrigerator, I would hazard a guess that it's a few hundred dollars.

I was talking about the kit from Amazon that they was discussed earlier. Preventive to lower hinge failure. Again don't carry heavy items in the door when traveling. Norcold still denies they have a "known product concern". Sad. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!!!    

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Archived