Winnebago MH's have Gas/Elect Fridge wired to Inverter???

Al F

The last few weeks I have run across reports from people with Winnebago gas MH's that are stating their Dometic or Norcold fridges are wired though their inverters.  The model years seem to be in the 2012-2016 range.  This is only on the larger rigs with inverters. 

Anyone else seeing reports like this? 

The problem with the fridge being powered through the inverter is that most people leave the fridge on "auto" for the power setting.  What happens is when you disconnect from shore power the fridge does not switch to gas.  It stays on electric which will drain your batteries in 24-36 hours.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Al F said:

The last few weeks I have run across reports from people with Winnebago gas MH's that are stating their Dometic or Norcold fridges are wired though their inverters.  The model years seem to be in the 2012-2016 range.  This is only on the larger rigs with inverters. 

It isn't just the larger rigs.  Our Class C, a Winnebago Aspect, is wired that way.  Since we boondock most of the time, we make sure the refrigerator is on LP, not Auto.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

It isn't just the larger rigs.  Our Class C, a Winnebago Aspect, is wired that way.  Since we boondock most of the time, we make sure the refrigerator is on LP, not Auto.

Thanks LindaH, that's good to know. 

Makes me wonder now just how many people have greatly reduced the life of their batteries in these Winnebago MH's. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I am sure some of those bigger units have residential refers and they WOULD be wired to the inverter.

The original refer in my rig was not wired to the inverter.  The only high current draw item that was (is) is the microwave.

I have replaced the original NOCOLD with a Samsung residential and added a second pure sine inverter dedicated to the refer.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

22 hours ago, lenp said:

I am sure some of those bigger units have residential refers and they WOULD be wired to the inverter.

The original refer in my rig was not wired to the inverter.  The only high current draw item that was (is) is the microwave.

I have replaced the original NOCOLD with a Samsung residential and added a second pure sine inverter dedicated to the refer.

Lenp

As they should be, wired through the inverter.  For the RV's I have paid attention to, the mfg adds 2 extra batteries and maybe a larger inverter to support the residential fridge.

If the mfg does the same for the gas/elect fridge that they wire though the inverter that would be better, but I suspect they are not. 

It would also be really nice if they added a warning or caution that the gas/elect fridge is wired through the inverter and does not automatically switch to gas mode when disconnected from shore power.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Our MH does NOT have the frig outlet wired through the inverter, and it was Winnebago's top of the line during production years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Our MH does NOT have the frig outlet wired through the inverter, and it was Winnebago's top of the line during production years.

That helps confirm what I have seen in other reports.  It is the relatively recent model year MH's that have the gas/elect fridge wired through the inverter.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 10/31/2017 at 10:04 AM, LindaH said:

Does your fridge have an ice maker?  In another forum there was a statement that fridges with ice makers usually have two 120V AC plugs.  One for the 120V heater element for the cooling process and a second for the ice maker.  Only the ice maker plug should be going through the inverter.  If Winnebago or someone swapped the plugs, the heater element could be plugged into the wrong outlet.

I didn't think about the ice maker being powered by 120V AC and the fridge having 2 plugs when I started this topic.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived