Nice HDT spotted

Stan Wright

We were driving down the strip in Pigeon Forge, TN, this morning and saw this nice looking HDT parked for sale.  I thought it had an ARI type cab at first but then I realized it was a large drom box.  Those catch my eye.  Very sharp truck.  It has a TrailerSaver air hitch, and a lot of storage compartments on the drom.  The sleeper section has been converted into seating.  The only negative thing (from a sales view) is it has a Super 10 manual transmission.

pftruck.jpg

As I thought about it I had a sense of deja vu.  I looked through some pictures and found it in some East Coast Rally pictures.  Someone on the forum?

pftruck2.jpg

I saw that rig at the Daytona Turkey run for sale the last two years.  Beautiful truck.  Can't believe it is still for sale.  If I had an extra $60k at the time my GMC would have stayed in Florida.  Very nice rig, talked to the fella for a while.  Every bit of that bed/drom/conversion is top notch and no expense spared.  Tons of details.  All the doors are fire truck quality rollup.  Things like when you open the man door in the drom, the electric steps roll out and the lights come on.  The box is a bit specialized, but there is so much space that you could use it for anything.  The curb side roll up door houses a wheelchair lift used to load cargo and rolling tool boxes, or whatever you want.  Road side doors just the right size for Snap On boxes.  Perfect for somebody like Pheonix that works out of the truck.   Or I figured I could remove the lift and ride my harley right up a ramp over the back past the hitch and into the back door.  He also claimed room for a Smart inside the box, but I was a little skeptical if you could get in to tie it down.  Nice truck regardless.

If I could figure out the new picture system I'd add a few more I took.

Did he have a current price on it?

The wheelbase on that thing would be a nightmare almost anywhere. What is the wheelbase like 22-23+feet? it would high center on a speed bump.....stupid! People can ohh and ahh but in reality that rig is about useless.....its like using a 45' bus to tow a fifth wheel. You can't bobtail it anywhere and you have no room for a smart or motorcycle....It's cool and all but what the hell do you do with it???

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

39 minutes ago, 13speed said:

The wheelbase on that thing would be a nightmare almost anywhere. What is the wheelbase like 22-23+feet? it would high center on a speed bump.....stupid! People can ohh and ahh but in reality that rig is about useless.....its like using a 45' bus to tow a fifth wheel. You can't bobtail it anywhere and you have no room for a smart or motorcycle....It's cool and all but what the hell do you do with it???

Totally agree, but it is pretty to look at.  Love the drom box.

He told me he built it over a few years as their retirement truck, then plans changed and they never bought the fifth wheel.  When I saw it, it had never towed a trailer yet, hitch was still shiny.  But that was over a year ago.  And that box IS as nice as it looks.  All finished white aluminum inside just as nice as the outside, rubber coin floor, etc.

And I could park it bobtail about anywhere, drove a straight truck for in town deliveries that long for many years.  Just gotta think with your brain and plan your moves before you pull in somewhere blind.

21 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

He told me he built it over a few years as their retirement truck, then plans changed and they never bought the fifth wheel.  When I saw it, it had never towed a trailer yet, hitch was still shiny.  But that was over a year ago.  And that box IS as nice as it looks.  All finished white aluminum inside just as nice as the outside, rubber coin floor, etc.

And I could park it bobtail about anywhere, drove a straight truck for in town deliveries that long for many years.  Just gotta think with your brain and plan your moves before you pull in somewhere blind.

I could bob tail it most anywhere as well but I would not want to. That WB is way longer then any straight truck that I have ever seen or driven. It is interesting to look at for sure but it is just not practical in any way. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Archived