SD TRUCK CONVERTED TO MH

NeverEasy

This was a lot easier than I expected.  My truck was registered in TX as a MH when I bought it.  Title said it was so I thought it would automatically get registered in SD as a MH but not so.  When I sent in the paperwork to Your Best Address, it came back as a private truck.  I wanted to get it changed as the rules for having it as a MH are less complicated.  I had an opportunity to go to Sioux Falls while in route to Oshkosh for the airshow so I prepared everything.  I filled out SD E Form 1827 V3 and got everything ready.  I drove the Volvo to the County Treasurer's Office expecting the worst.  When I arrived there was no one in line.  While heading to the "Wait here to be served" sign a man at a window said "Can I help you?".  Fifteen minutes later the Volvo became a MH.  All that Doug wanted to see was the weight ticket.  No hassle, all smiles.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I just purchased a HDT Peterbilt 387 to use as a rv hauler.  I went to the Rapid City, South Dakota county treasurers office to register as a motorhome (or RV Hauler).  I had all the appropriate paperwork, but the lady said that since this was a truck that tows the 5th wheel RV it would have to be registered as a private vehicle.  She issued me a noncommercial plate but put a SD Tons (13 ton) sticker on the plates.  I told her several times that this would be only used as motorhome, but she said that since it is a truck that tows a 5th wheel RV, it has to be register this way.  How or do I need to get this corrected?  Please help me understand this.  I read all the forums I could find and approached this exactly the way people said to, but I'm not sure if this is right.

You should have walked in with this completed as NeverEasy did and said "I want to register my motorhome".
Then stop talking.  Not your tow vehicle, not your truck... your motorhome.

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1827V3-AffidavitForTruckTractorConvertedToAMotorhome.pdf

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Chet  Is this a replacement or just time to change. Do you like the new 5er? Holler when you get a chance. It sure is nice when you get something done and you actually enjoyed doing it! Are you in the Mustang Association?  Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived