New Air Conditioner

Helping a friend out here. Need a new LOW profile 15k heat pump. The area has wiring run for a remote thermostat.  Currently, has a non-working early 20004-5 model Coleman, ducted, unit.  So what's quiet and efficient these days?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I hate to be flippant in my answer but NOTHING is quiet and efficient in RV air conditioners. Just the unfortunate truth. As to the "best" available, both of the major manufacturers make functional units. I have not measured db between them, but I'd bet it is not significant.  Sorry to be of little help here....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I wish Jack wasn't right, but he is.  Ducted is better than not, but only marginally.  Glenn West's application of a mini split is ideal, but that is an engineering exercise.  I hope that the RV industry will embrace the mini splits and they become widely applied.  They are both quiet and efficient.  The ones we had in our S&B home were SEER 24 and completely silent.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

If you want quiet and willing to do the work, read up on my mini split install. It is a bear to install in some units. If your floorplan has a rear area for interior unit fairly simple install. If you have a rear bumper, sweet. You could mount outside unit on it. Thermostat is a remote so no wiring for it. We really like ours. With everything in the house off and no one speaking we can here it a little. That's how quiet it is. Oh, they are comparable in price also. You would have to do the work. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

They don't want a mini split.... they don't even want to buy a second unit right now.  But they're in the south and evidently, it's warm there.  This is a 2004 Forest River something or another 5th wheel.  They asked if there was a unit quieter than others but ultimately anything that cools wins....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If low profile is key.. the Coleman Mach 8 is about the lowest profile Aircon that I am aware of. Although I'm not the greatest fan of Coleman's... I can't say much the better of Dometic's... although... Dometic's "are" a bit easier when it comes to aftermarket mods (ie., hard start cap).

Cost and ease of installation would be the deciding factors for me. As metioned.. quiet & efficient just don't "play" in the RV world with rooftop units. More than likely, a direct replacement would be the simplest installation as the mounts and rooftop footprint would match up. 

Depending on where they are in the south and how humid it is there are some pretty good portable evaporative coolers that work. We had one several years ago that was just a huge box fan with a water pump and reservoir. It was not quiet and it was not ac but it was less than $150 and moved cool air. 

Archived