New to RVing in Texas

mjbrake3

We just bought our first RV and are planning our first trip for September. We plan on making this one pretty short as we get used to pulling a trailer and learning the ropes. We have in mind 2 weeks in Davis Mountains State Park but are pretty sure that is too long of a drive for our first day - we live in Georgetown, so that's a little over 400 miles. We can stop at South Llano River State Park or at Seminole Canyon State Park and are just wondering if others have stayed there, what the roads and conditions are like etc. I should mention we are sticking with state parks because we have a mixed breed dog traveling companion who just might have some pit bull in him. State Parks seem less concerned about breed. Any advice for us newbies will be appreciated:)

No experience with Seminole Canyon, but South Llano River SP is very nice and a good halfway point (On edit, more like a third of the way, but still a nice stop!). I will say that Texas State Parks are getting harder to get in to because of the reservation system. We've been turned away from both South Llano River and Davis Mountains recently due to them being full up. 

So I recommend reservations especially if you are trying for a two-week block at Davis Mountains. 

Roads are perfectly fine between Georgetown and Davis Mountains. You'll encounter some grades on IH-10 and especially on Hwy 17 up to the Davis Mountains, but nothing extraordinary. 

Enjoy your trip!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Be sure to buy the State Park annual pass.  Free admission and 50% off (or free, don't remember for sure) on the 2nd night of a 2 night stay.

I strongly suggest stopping at Seminole Canyon.  Be sure to take the Fate Bell tour where you walk down into the canyon and view the pictographs from the natives from some 2000 years ago.  Tours at 10am & 3pm. 

You have 2 weeks.  Don't rush.  Take your time going and then just make it an overnight trip on the way back. 

Recommended itinerary:

--  From Georgetown take SR-29 to Mason, an nice scenic drive of 100 miles.  Spend the night at Fort Mason City Park, reviews here at RV Park Reviews.  The park has nice grassy parking area with elect. Lots of room to walk or run the dogs.  Go to Coopers Original Pit Bar BBQ for dinner (or do take out). 

-- Or continue on to Junction and stay at S Llano SP, about 150 miles from Georgetown.

-- In Junction, pick up US-377 to US-277 going to Del Rio and then US-90 to Seminole Canyon.  A total of about 300 miles from Georgetown. 

--  After your two night stay at Seminole Canyon, stop in at Langtry at the the Texas Hwy Dept Visitor center and check out Judge Roy Bean's courthouse and history.  Also take a 1/2 hour and walk through the nature garden with all the plants from the Chihuahuan desert identified. 

-- It is an easy 1/2 day (4 to 5 hours) drive from Seminole to Ft Davis. 

Be sure to go to the Star Party at McDonald Observatory while you are at Davis Mt. SP

Going home jump on I-10 and head back.  Or stop in Balmorhea SP and check out the springs and then head home. 

If you can go in Oct/Nov time frame consider spending 4-6 nights in Big Bend NP. 

Have fun.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived