General Operation

Badboy

I purchased a 2013 Salem by Forest River, travel trailer. I'm new to camping, and have several questions on the operation.

!. Does the battery charge, while being plugged in to electrical outlet ?

2. Does the battery charge, while being towed with tow vehicle ?

3. Does the gray water, and sewer water tanks fill and then fill the portable tank. Or does it flow straight into the potable tank ?  Gate valves open of course.

4.The panel that holds the slide out button and the tank gauges, has a rocker switch marked water heater. Next to it is a red indicator light that is marked RESET. When switch is turned to the "ON" position, the light shines. I'm confused because outside in the water heater compartment, there is a "ON" and "OFF" switch for the water heater.

This will get me started. If anyone has any other tips, they would greatly appreciated ! :unsure:

3. Grey water tank fills from sink/shower. Black water tank fills from toilet. Fresh water tank fills from a hose connected to outside an source. Gate valves should be kept closed until there enough in the black tank to get a good dump. Gray water should be dumped after black water to rinse out the dump hose.

I'll let someone with more electrical knowledge than I have answer the rest of your questions.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

#1 - I'm sure you have a converter somewhere that charges the house batteries while you are plugged in.  That should have been explained to you during the walk through prior to pulling out from the dealership.  If not, hire a mobile tech to come out and pay them to go through ALL of the systems with you.

#2 - probably not.  Shouldn't be a problem.

#3.  The portable tank (aka BlueBoy) is an aftermarket product and most people never use them.  Most people will just DUMP into either the full hookup sewer at their site, or at the dump station when they level.  NEVER, EVER, leave the black tank valve open.  Dump when it is 2/3 or more full, followed immediately by dumping the grey tank (leave it also closed) to help flush out the hose.   Repeat  NEVER, EVER, LEAVE THE GATE VALVES OPEN.

If your panel is like ours, what you have is a button inside for turning on the propane to heat the water.  If you also have an on/off switch out on the tank, then that is the electrical heating.  Ours is always on as we very, very are without hookups, so we heat with electric.  If you boondock alot, then you could throw the outside switch to off and just use propane.

AGAIN, please pay for a mobile tech to come out and go through all of the systems with you.  It will be money well spent.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If you have a converter (which most trailers do), your batteries should get charged when plugged into A/C outlet. Converters change 110AC to DC. I would think your batteries should also get some charge from the trailer wiring when hooked to the vehicle depending on the alternator, but that might be trailer specific?

Linda answered the question about water pretty good. You probably don't have this on a travel trailer, but I've seen some larger 5th wheels that have the 2nd bathroom where that sink will empty into the 2nd black tank instead of having a 2nd grey tank just for the sink. Probably not anything you have to worry about.

As mentioned, keep your black tank closed until you need to empty, and empty grey tank behind it to rinse hose. 

As for the water heater light, do you have an extreme weather package or anything on your trailer? Perhaps you have "tank heaters" meaning that heats the tanks when on and thus the red light shins to show you that while the actual water heater switch is outside??

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

8 hours ago, Badboy said:

3. Does the gray water, and sewer water tanks fill and then fill the portable tank. Or does it flow straight into the potable tank ?

I know that you said "portabel water" tank but did you mean the tank that is labeled "potable water?" Potable water is drinking water and that tank supplies the water to your water pump and fresh water system when you are not connected to city water. It has a fill either on the side of the RV or via a valve from the city water connection. 

!. Does the battery charge, while being plugged in to electrical outlet ?

2. Does the battery charge, while being towed with tow vehicle ?

Yes on both counts.

4.The panel that holds the slide out button and the tank gauges, has a rocker switch marked water heater. Next to it is a red indicator light that is marked RESET. When switch is turned to the "ON" position, the light shines. I'm confused because outside in the water heater compartment, there is a "ON" and "OFF" switch for the water heater.

The switch in the back of your water heater is a service switch and it must be in the on position for it to work. Once it is in the on position and you have propane available, then turn the switch on the inside to the on position and the red light will turn one, then if the propane lights the red light will go off again. The red light comes on each time it send a spark to the ignition probe to light the flame and if it lights it goes out. If it fails to light the ignition probe will try 3 times, then quit, leaving the red light on to let you know that it didn't light. 

If you don't mind my asking, when did you join the Escapees? With your number, it must have been a long time ago.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived