Tach needed for diesel tractor

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a need to replace the tach in the main piece of equipment that I mow grass with. The tractor is a Steiner with a Kubota D722-E diesel engine with 21hp. They use a magnetic pick-up off the flywheel to get the signal for the tach. The size I could use is 3 3/8" dia.. I have done a search on line and not to sure what tach to use. I see things like 5:1 or 1:1,etc. and have no idea what I am being told by these numbers. What do these numbers mean ? The factory tach is some off brand ( Paneltronics, Inc.). I tried to find this company with not much luck. What brand would you use to replace the Paneltronics ?

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

From what I have found Paneltronics just builds the dash. I didn't find any type of instrumentation on their site. I am not certain (if I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected) bit I think the 1:1 and 1:5 numbers have to do with the tachs that run off the alternator. Take a look at this: https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=60768&c=650659&h=559f648c20b56d40c023&_xt=.pdf   It has some info that may help.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

17 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

Hi wild wolf,

Thank you for posting this link. No this is not how my tach looks. But I did found this Stewart Warner model a couple days ago. I was hoping that this model number could work for me. But I am not sure. The pick-up for the tach is on the flywheel but it is not over the teeth on the flywheel. I think there is a magnetic on the flywheel but I am not sure. I tried to look for it, but no luck yet.

Al

Thank you guys for the help. I did look at the web sites. I am still reading.

5 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi wild wolf,

Thank you for posting this link. No this is not how my tach looks. But I did found this Stewart Warner model a couple days ago. I was hoping that this model number could work for me. But I am not sure. The pick-up for the tach is on the flywheel but it is not over the teeth on the flywheel. I think there is a magnetic on the flywheel but I am not sure. I tried to look for it, but no luck yet.

Al

Thank you guys for the help. I did look at the web sites. I am still reading.

I have a good friend. He works on tractors all the time. And I asked him if he has time. To see if he could come up with the right one. But being its a Kubota Engine his thoughts were it will be a Kubota part.

Pete

event.png

18 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

I have a good friend. He works on tractors all the time. And I asked him if he has time. To see if he could come up with the right one. But being its a Kubota Engine his thoughts were it will be a Kubota part.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your offer of help. I think there is a magnet on the flywheel that the pick-up see. I don't believe the pick-up counts the teeth on the flywheel. I was hoping that the Stewart Warner tach would have worked. I have also sent a note to Stewart Warner asking questions. But so far no answer.

Thank you again,
Al

Archived